iPad Baseband on 5.0.x

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by chargit, Dec 13, 2011.

1. chargit macrumors 6502a

chargit

does anyone know if you can use the iPad Baseband on 3gs devices that are 5.0.x or higher? I see the option on the newest redsnow but I have not tried it myself and I cant seem to downgrade from 5.0.x

2. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Yes, you can use it on 5.0 I believe 5.0.1 needs a little work to get it to work.
    But with a 3GS you can always go down to 4.1

3. dhlizard macrumors G4

dhlizard

Ultrasn0w does not unlock any basebands on 5.0.1
    Plus, the iPad baseband performs very poorly on iOS5

4. chargit thread starter macrumors 6502a

chargit

well thats what I thought also but it wont let me downgrade. I have 3 and I keep getting error 20. I did one earlier that was on 4.2.1 and had no problems downgrading. but I cant do the other 3. one is even on 4.3.5 and it wont downgrade.

----------

I appreciate your reply but I dont think you are correct because I would be installing the iPad baseband so the 5.0 baseband would have no effect. but it may perform poorly im not sure on that.

5. labman macrumors 604

labman

looks to me like you already know all the answers to your questions. I wish you the best of luck.

6. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Its tricky to get it to downgrade.
    Maybe try making a custom 4.1 ipsw using pwnage or snowbreeze.

7. Crystal-RX macrumors 68030

Crystal-RX

I never have any problem downgrading 3GS Iphones from OS5 or 5.0.1 to 4.1. I always used official firmware to downgrade then used TU to exit recovery at the end once I got 1015 error.

8. dhlizard macrumors G4

dhlizard

I can guarantee that if you put the iPad baseband on your 3GS and upgrade to 5.0.1 firmware, Ultrasn0w will not unlock it

The iPad baseband when used on iOS5 suffers from repeated service dropouts and location service issues.

And you can downgrade to 4.1 with a 3GS as Apple still signs that baseband. Make sure host file is pointed at Apple. After the downgrade, your iPad baseband may be in an inconsistent state, so you may need to reflash it.

9. chargit thread starter macrumors 6502a

chargit

reflash it?

10. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Install the iPad bb again.

11. terraphantm macrumors 68040

Is there anything that can create custom iOS 5 firmwares for the 3GS? I'm fairly certain that old bootrom 3GS's can go from a pwned state to any version custom firmware without SHSHs. At least I know that was possible in the 3.x days (last time I had a 3GS)

12. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

No, even with old bootrom 3GS its not possible to restore to older firmware without shsh's.

13. Crystal-RX macrumors 68030

Crystal-RX

Without SHSH blobs save, you can only go to either 4.1 or 5.0.1. If you don't trust me, you can try and come back here to report your finding.

14. terraphantm, Dec 17, 2011
    Last edited: Dec 17, 2011

terraphantm macrumors 68040

Give me an oldbootrom 3GS and I'd gladly demonstrate it. I sold mine right after the iPhone 4 came out.

Remember how back in the day the dev-team stressed how important it was to "stay on the jailbreak train" by only using custom firmwares? That's because upgrading to a custom firmware from a bootrom exploited phone bypassed all signature checks, including blobs. New bootrom 3GS' couldn't do this, and it couldn't be done on old bootrom devices if it was jailbroken via a userland JB (like spirit) without using something like Spirit2Pwn. I remember going up and down firmware versions without being connected to the internet (which would've been impossible if you needed an SHSH).

Edit: Simple google search shows that restoring to a custom 5.0 firmware works fine on the 3GS. 24kpwn eliminates the need for SHSH's - the device just has to be jailbroken before a custom firmware can be used. Of course the 3GS is jailbreakable at all firmware versions these days thanks to the combination of 24kpwn and limera1n. Pwned DFU mode might actually be enough, though I'm not 100% sure about that.