iPad Battery life

Discussion in 'iPad' started by jodorowsky00, Apr 19, 2010.

1. jodorowsky00 macrumors regular

Ok i use the ipad diffrently than most people, while i work i have it net o me plued to the usb so its powered by the cable and when i leave the desk i take it with me but as soon as i return i connect it back again.

My question is will it lower my battery cycles if i keep on plugging it to the usb in my mac pro? or should i use it like a cell phone charge it during the night and use it during the day?

Any battery experts?

2. Maaz macrumors 6502a

I just charge it over night. The battery lasts 10 hours, I don't see why you would need to keep replugging it in. Unless you don't like to sleep at night.

3. antiprotest macrumors 65816

antiprotest

4. jodorowsky00 thread starter macrumors regular

its because im always working so its at my desk and i think i might as well plug it.

5. noah82 macrumors 6502a

noah82

6. Maaz macrumors 6502a

Yeah I could see why you would contemplate that. But honestly i would just plug it in overnight.

7. jodorowsky00 thread starter macrumors regular

Ok, i remeber i had macbook pro and was plugged all day i never unplugged it and after 2 years no juice and i dont want my ipad to die so quick.

8. Zepaw macrumors 65816

Zepaw

You are plugging it into the computer? That charging is nearly non-existent.

I love this battery. I would have to be using it the entire time I am awake to drain the darn thing. I always plugged my iPhone in at night so this has taken its place with that habit.

9. jodorowsky00 thread starter macrumors regular

10. spammerhamster macrumors 6502

I've read somewhere that every time you give your iPhone a full charge, you'd be shaving 5 minutes out of it's total batterylife.

For the ipad, which has like 10 times the capacity of an iphone, how many times do you have to fullcharge it to shave it to 5 hours or less?

11. jodorowsky00 thread starter macrumors regular

when i go to a meeting i have i there for 2 hours and a soon as i get back to my desk i plug it again, for of habit.

12. PrinceDraven macrumors regular

??

Nobody seems to have answered the question though.
    Does it damage your battery to keep the device plugged in??

13. Soulcrux macrumors 6502

Soulcrux

Yes. All batteries go through "wear and tear" everytime they're charged. This is inevitable. But the best thing to do is to not leave it plugged in, like OP does, because then it's constantly getting charged. batteries are meant to be uncharged from time to time

14. kernkraft macrumors 68020

kernkraft

Make sure that you leave the battery go completely flat and leave it like that overnight at least in every two-three months!

15. jodorowsky00 thread starter macrumors regular

ok its hard to use all the battery in a day , so should i let the battery go almost dead and then charge it say every 2 days or should i i charge it every night regardless if its dead or not.

16. sapporobaby macrumors 68000

sapporobaby

I got 14 hours, eight minutes out of mine. I used it at work as a replacement for my MBP. The battery life is incredible.

17. spammerhamster macrumors 6502

Worst thing you can do to a Lithium-ion battery...

Charge it when it has less than 10% left. Even with 10% it still has enough juice for an hour or so.

18. jodorowsky00 thread starter macrumors regular

One last question, how come people leave there laptop plugged for hours and they don't seem to lose battery cycles.

19. sapporobaby macrumors 68000

sapporobaby

For the MBP batteries, Apple recommends that you let them go flat and place the computer into sleep mode. Once in sleep mode, you let it sit like this for about 5 hours. This calibrates the battery. Once calibrated, plug it in and charge it. Lithium Ion batteries like to be used all the time to maximize battery life.

20. kernkraft macrumors 68020

kernkraft

I know that the practise comes from the days of older battery types like Cadmium, but I think I read this in of of my Apple User Manuals for a Lithium powered MBP. Or a Genius might have told me...

21. Blacklabel34 macrumors 6502

I only know this because I race rc trucks, No no no! You never ever run a lipo battery all the way down. Run it to 5-10% and recharge ;)

"kernkraft- I know that the practise comes from the days of older battery types like Cadmium, but I think I read this in of of my Apple User Manuals for a Lithium powered MBP. Or a Genius might have told me..."

Maybe true with the mbp but that would only be because it probably has a cut-off built in. As far as hearing it from a Genius.....that doesn't surprise me : )

22. GregGebhardt macrumors 6502

This information is WRONG!:eek:

Do NOT run your L-Ion battery till dead!:mad:

23. Streethawk macrumors 6502

Apples and oranges, Lithium-Ion is not the same as Lithium-Polymer, but you're right, Li-ion doesnt like to be fully discharged either. There's a very high likelyhood that the iPad wont let it be fully discharged, it will power off when the voltage drops to the minimum safe level.

24. Bodhi395 macrumors 6502a

This cant be true, since your battery would be close to no capacity in no time if every time you gave it a full charge it lost 5 minutes of battery life.

I usually charge my iPhone every night, and if this were true I'd have no battery life after a few months. 5 minutes shaved off would be an hour shaved off every 11 days. So in about 2 months you'd shave off 6 hours of battery life. That is just not happening on the majority of iPhones.

25. gkrykewy macrumors member

But apple specifically recommends that you do this once per month in the support pages for the iPad....