iPad battery... Normal?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Jare, Jun 23, 2010.

1. Jare macrumors 65816

Jare

(Replacement Model of 32GB WiFi, was told it was "brand new", it was given to me from a brown box.)

Battery Issue:

Last night from 2:30am (75%) till 10:00am (69%) iPad was in Standby Mode. When screen was turned on, the battery was 70% and quickly drained to 68% after precisely 2 minutes. Afterwards every 2-5 minutes I was getting 1%-2% battery drainage. Sometimes more drainage, but that's an estimate.

WiFi Issue

WiFi drops connection about 3-5 times a day. Issue started on day 2 of ownership. Have tried several networks, reset my router etc.

Just wondering if this is normal battery life, or should I get my iPad replaced. (Seemed abnormal to me). Here's one issue though, since my iPad has been replaced once for a worse WiFi issue then above (dropping 16-20 times a day) and I've had way too many iPhones replaced, the Apple Store has gotten weary about replacing my products and I'd prefer not to deal with my local store. Please note both my iPad/iPhone have 0 scratches or marks/dents, have been babied and placed in cases from day 1.

Settings Setup:

Email: MobileMe (contacts and bookmarks sync) - Fetch hourly, AOL (email) - Fetch hourly, Push disabled.
    Brightness: 7%
    Location Services: OFF
    Bluetooth: OFF
    WiFi: ON (Constantly, until overnight when it's turned off.)
    Battery Percentage: ON

APPS:

AccuWeather
    Adobe Ideas
    Air Video (installed but not turned on.)
    BeejiveIM (push enabled, set to sign off after 10 minutes)
    iBooks
    Movies by Flixter
    Good Reader
    Local News by Fwix
    Pages
    Sobees for FB
    Sorted
    Twitteriffic

GAMES:

Angry Birds HD
    Game Table
    GodFinger
    Parachute Panic
    Pinball HD
    Plants Vs. Zombies HD

2. Gahau macrumors regular

Something similar happened to me...
    IMHO not all battery are equal same scenario that you have...
    I kept on exchanging it till i found one with an ok battery...
    I have ran the ipad for 8-9 on ipod mode (screen off) just to see 1% go...
    I have left it for 3 days before seeing 1% on stdby, Wifi on, no 3G, push every 30min
    Now maybe you will get battery battery performance after a couple of cycles

3. Paulywauly macrumors 6502a

Paulywauly

Mine doesnt drain 1% in standby overnight and thats with everything enabled. I'd ask for a replacement

4. Jare thread starter macrumors 65816

Jare

So my situation is not normal?

5. shady825 macrumors 68000

shady825

Many factors at play here. He could have 35 apps pushing content. You may have none.
    Battery life is going to be different for every person seeing that a lot of variables are involved.
    I use the hell out of my ipad. Every day. It lasts me about 2 1/2 to 3 days before needing a charge. I'm not sitting down crunching numbers but I do know that it's lasting plenty long for me.

6. Jare thread starter macrumors 65816

Jare

I'm going to compile a list of all the apps I have on my iPad. Maybe that will help?

7. Jare thread starter macrumors 65816

Jare

Updated thread with the entire list of apps. There isn't a lot. Maybe that will help.

8. MrWillie macrumors 65816

MrWillie

My battery life became 'normal' after a discharge cycle or two.

9. Grievous Angel macrumors newbie

I wouldn't worry too much about that battery indicator says. There's no way it's all that accurate to a percent or two, or what it's "thinking" about your battery when you wake it up after a day or so.

10. DenniZ macrumors 6502a

Have you done the calibration cycle yet? I.e. Let the battery run down to empty, leave it for a while, then fully charge it without disruption.

Could be MobileMe syncing in the background and crashing into a loop, especially if you have a large calendar or amount of boookmarks, it slows down the ipad slightly.

11. Jare thread starter macrumors 65816

Jare

Yes I've calibrated. I removed MobileMe and still the same issue.

12. Gahau macrumors regular

Well you could have had 100 replacement... defective is defective right?
    worst comes to worst bite the bullet and just return it pay them the 10%
    do what I do order one online wait patiently and get it straight from the source... you probably will have peace in mind... no refurb, brown box... I could be wrong tho =)

13. ditzy macrumors 68000

ditzy

You pay 10% when you just change your mind about owning it, if it is defective and you get a replacement you pay nothing.

14. Gahau macrumors regular

right but the op seams to get some brown box refurb whatever ans seams to be defective...
    if the store is nice, they wont charge you the 10%
    then you can buy a new one...

15. Jare thread starter macrumors 65816

Jare

I bought mine from Futureshop so I can't return it to the apple store, I'd have to go to futureshop for a full blown return.

I was told by the Genius when he gave me the brown box that it was a brand new model since the iPad is still new for us there aren't any real refurbished models, but I don't believe him.

16. foiden macrumors 6502a

I haven't really counted the minutes that closely. In general, my iPad, when running regular browsing or movie activity, is losing approximately 10% every hour of use. Which pretty much still keeps it at that 10+ hour performance mark.

It's different for games, though. Those games generally chew up more battery life than anything else on the system. So I expect to lose a few hours doing that. Still, not a surprise as Movies can afford to run off of lower resources, and I'd expect the movie player to be rather optimized in such a fashion.

17. Gahau macrumors regular

What?

18. Gahau macrumors regular

Yea I didnt believed him either... there where some little give away when I open the box:

1. cellophane wasnt "new"
    2. the apple logo on the back was "touched"
    3. plastic gasket was damaged (minor)
    4. the edge of the alluminum body had little mark, apparently someone opened it

F... this Ordered one from apple.com and i am using the defective one till then

19. Steviejobz macrumors 68000

I just started recently having this problem. I used to be able to stay at 100% charge if not used for many hours. Lately, if I go to bed with 100% charge, I will wake up 6 hours later and it will drop by about 4-5%.

It just started happening about a week or so ago. A bunch of iPhone apps were inadvertently installed on it when I synched it after getting iPhone 4. But I have removed most of them (mostly games, facebook, etc). Push is turned off as well.

I did a reboot and still have this 4-5% overnight drain. I may just take it back to the Apple store unless someone has found a solution.

Thanks