iPad Battery Problems

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Caolan96, Jun 5, 2010.

1. Caolan96 macrumors regular

Hi,

I got my iPad 3G on International Launch Day.

I love it to bits !

Although, I am not getting the amazing battery life everyone has been saying, and my wifi has been spotty, even on different networks.

Okay, so my battery..
    I have cellular data off when not in use, and I have my screen brightness at a modest level, about half way. I also have location services, and fetch off.

I am getting 6 hours at most, of mixed use.

It's really frustrating.
    Anyone else having this problem?

Thanks.
    Caolán.

2. DisneyRicky macrumors regular

DisneyRicky

Weird...

I have a Wifi only model, so the battery usage is a little different

I 'Background' Yahoo Messenger a lot, wifi is always on and appears to always be connected (logo is always there when I pick up the iPad), and my screen is set to max brightness. I always use the external speaker (Never used the headphone jack...Hope it works ;) )

I was in the hospital for a few days, and I used it here and there, battery was at 98% when I checked in, and 45% when I left

I can probably get 8-10 hours out of it, that with listening to music and everything.

3. Caolan96 thread starter macrumors regular

hmm

well its not that i loose wifi for a long time, it normally flicks off for 2 seconds, i very rarely loose the connection for a long time.

i am worried, as everyones saying the batteries amazing, although maybe i'm being paranoid about my new baby.

thanks for the help.

4. Shank2001 macrumors newbie

That does sound low. I routinely get 10 hours from my 3G's battery, and it doesn't seem to matter what I am doing.

I would keep an eye on it if I were you. Run the battery out until the iPad shuts down, recharge it to 100% and see what you get after that.

5. Caolan96 thread starter macrumors regular

will do, il start tomorrow morning, get a good timeframe for it.

thanks.

6. WilliamG macrumors 604

Not enough info given. 6 hours sounds about right, depending on what you're doing. Having the brightness up seems to affect the battery life the most. So if you're at half brightness, playing a game, you might get even less than 6 hours. It all DEPENDS.

7. drfun macrumors newbie

I also had an issue

Ok, here is the facts.
    8 day old 64gb wifi only iPad. Bluetooth off. Email check every 15min w/2 accounts. Push alerts only on for IM and IM not running. Battery life was great for a while. I know about lipo batteries and not to take then bellow 3.2 old per cell. My guess would be if it hit red 20% then charge it. I have no way of checking the voltage on the iPad yet. Battery was only cycled 2.5 time.
    Last night I had it on the video cable (apple version) to the LCD tv and was watching netflix. Before that I put 14gb of movies on it. It was never jail broke. Left it on charge over night.

Here Is were the problem begins. Woke up today. Grabbed the iPad and went outside. In the first hour I saw it drop 8% battery with basic surfing. I did a hard reboot (power &home) to rest everything and in the next 30 min it dropped another 6%. Brightness was at the same level as before, about middle. Nothing changed but it was sucking the battery. I felt the back get a little warm. So I decided to start over.

Restore iPad and this time jailbreak and install sysinfoplus first so I have more insight to what is going on if this happens again. Put all the media back on and wait for the battery to charge back to 100%. Important I did not restore from the backup. I started fresh this time.

This seems to have fixed the issue. 4 hours running, some games played, Surfing, streaming tv from my house on the coffee shop wifi for and hour and a 30 min tv show that I had put on the iPad. Battery is at 87% after all this and running for 4 hours of heavy use.

Note: maybe 45 min of the 4 hours it was in sleep state. Still much better than this morning. Im not sure what caused it. But if it happens again I will try to locate the process this time. Sysinofplus will also give you the total runtime, but not usage time. It counts the time since last restarted. You have to track the time that you use it and how you use it.

I was glad the issue snow resolved. The reason bought this was to be entertained while on 10 flights and not have to take the laptop with me. I leave in 5 hours so it was fixed just in time. Now time to really test the battery on this thing.

Hope this helps some others.
    Scott

8. iserian macrumors 6502

Yep - I have been in the 6 hours several times -- No 3G - just Wifi and BT and Screen Brightness High for outdoor viewing (Beach). Probably nothing to worry about. Wait until 4.0 --- 6's and even lower will be all the rage.

9. John Paul macrumors member

Sounds low to me. I'm not a "power user," I mostly use mine for email, some web surfing, and playing games. Brightness right about 50%. And I never get less than 8 hours, and usually get more than that, on a charge.

10. cenetti macrumors 6502

non stop use ... game playing/HD video streaming/internet browsing/app downloading.... 8-9 hours...

When I say non stop use, I mean it... screen being on at all times during this 8-9 hours...

3g/gps off... wifi on.... brightness half way....

11. Sebby macrumors 6502a

I'm achieving the exact battery life expected on my 3G with cellular data switched off, i.e. around 10% per hour of use.

12. Caolan96 thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for all the feedback

Hi Guys,

I just restored my iPad, and I'm not restoring from back up, starting it all fresh again, hopefully this will fix it, I'm off school tomorrow so il charge the battery and keep track of time tomorrow, hopefully restoring will resolve the issue, if not, i'll be a very unhappy guy.

Thanks.

Caolán.

13. Q-Dog macrumors 6502

Q-Dog

With wifi and 3G turned on I get between 10% and 12% battery usage per hour ... that's using internet, email, occasional movie or video clip. Settings are pretty much factory default for now.

14. drfun macrumors newbie

Working good now

Well I just got back from my trip. Watched close to 6 hours of movies and still had 38% battery left. It looks like the complete wipe and fresh restore fixed the issue. I also spent 9 hours on it surfing with wifi one day doing research and typing up a new article. I hope this helps others that may run into this issue.

15. nidserz macrumors 6502a

nidserz

Thanks for this. I am having the battery issues too it seems. I will test it tonight/tomorrow. If it performs below what I expect I will do a restore and start fresh. I don't really have anything on it anyways.

16. Jare macrumors 65816

Jare

Ive been getting roughly 15 hours lightly using my iPad all day. (web/email), fetch set to hourly for 2 email accounts and brightness at about 15%. Wifi model. My 3G and wifi model, had horrible battery life. Same settings, no sim card, same apps/music on the device and it was dropping 30% an hour. Seems to be a hit and miss scenario.

also for the record, I bought my wifi iPad 4 days ago. It came with 81% battery. I let it drain to 0 over 2 days of medium use. Games, web and mail. It took 2 full days 2pm day 1 - 2:11am day 3

17. MikeSuper macrumors newbie

My iPad has had great battery life... Then I hooked up the video out cable from Apple to play a movie on a projector, and ever since, my battery life won't even last the night in sleep mode... Has to be either the video out that changed something. Is that possible?