iPad battery recharge/management tips

Discussion in 'iPad' started by enragedcamel, Mar 18, 2012.

1. enragedcamel macrumors newbie

Share your tips for iPad battery management! Here are mine:

1. Keep it plugged in while you sleep. I developed this nightly ritual for the iPhone and it works just as well for the iPad.
    2. Buy a car charger. For me, the order of operations when I get in my car is: start engine, plug in iPhone/iPad, punch in GPS coordinates if necessary, then drive off.
    3. Keep a USB charger at your work desk so you can charge it through your computer if necessary.
    4. Turn down brightness, especially when reading. The screen is so bright as it is that I find even the average brightness level too bright. I never turn up the brightness above 50% unless I'm looking at high-res photos.
    5. Receive new emails manually, or have them pushed 30 minutes. Anything above that is overkill - do you really need the iPad to wake up and check for new emails every 5 minutes?

2. xxBURT0Nxx macrumors 68020

xxBURT0Nxx

FYI... push vs. fetch mail really mostly depends on how often you receive e-mails. If you get ~20 emails a day, then push will save more battery because it's only using data when you receive your 20 emails.

If you have it set to fetch every 30 minutes, you are checking twice an hour, or 24 times per day. If you are only getting 20 emails, you are "wasting" battery by checking it more frequently.

Difference is probably not huge, but just letting you know fetch is not the most battery conscious method for email all of the time, especially if you receive like 5-10 emails a day.

3. brand macrumors 601

brand

It would be nice if the fetch time settings could be more granular. I don't need my iPad to check for email during the 5-7 hours that I sleep.

4. xxBURT0Nxx macrumors 68020

xxBURT0Nxx

agreed, i guess the trade off is that *most*? people charge their devices while sleeping so for those users it's a moot point.

Would be nice if apple implemented some type of "profiles" or something that we could set. Like no ring/vibrate for phone calls/mssgs during sleeping hours. Set up for vibrate during the day while I'm at work, and Loud on the weekends when I'm not. Ability to not get or fetch email during certain hours, etc.

Hopefully in a future version!

5. brand macrumors 601

brand

Good point, I didn't think about that.

6. fullmanfullninj macrumors regular

I think car charger is nice and all, but I dunno how effective it'd be for the new 42 watt iPad battery :p

But yeah I charge mine over night as I sleep and it's not a problem at all.

7. brand macrumors 601

brand

If it is 2.1A then it would be just as effective as the charger that came with the iPad.

8. Eric8199 macrumors 6502a

Do you guys really need to charge your iPad during the day? I plug mine in envy night when I go to sleep. I use it a lot during the day, and I rarely go below 50 percent battery. I never plug my iPad in during the day, unless I'm watching a TON of video. Heck, I rarely plug my iPhone in during the day, and it never runs out on me.