ipad battery recycle procedures

Discussion in 'iPad' started by mrdinh, Apr 27, 2010.

1. mrdinh macrumors regular

From http://www.apple.com/batteries/ipad.html

For proper reporting of the battery’s state of charge, be sure to go through at least one charge cycle per month (charging the battery to 100% and then completely running it down).

How long to let the ipad sit without charging, then charge it up again? Hours?
    thanks

2. Julien macrumors G3

Julien

Once a quarter is actually good enough but people can't remember that long so once a month is used. After it goes dead you should charge it right away. Letting a lithium battery sit with dead cells causes crystals to grow and reduces batt life. Letting it drain completely is not for the battery (it's bad for it) but for synchronizing the complex monitoring system required by volatile lithium batteries.

3. Love Juice macrumors regular

i have a mbp, and i'm pretty sure the procedure for cycling a battery is to let it drain completely, letting it sit for 5hrs, then charging it back up. this is recommended once a month.

4. melman101 macrumors 68030

This has been incredibly hard for me to do. Lowest I got it was 20%. LOL

5. Streethawk macrumors 6502

There's little chance the iPad will allow its battery to go totally dead, it will shutdown when the voltage gets suitably low to preserve the battery. Most battery controllers do that these days.

6. Julien macrumors G3

Julien

Not just most but all lithium's must do this. That is part on the procedure you are synchronizing. You are also synchronizing max voltage charge (important, since lithium's will continue to absorb energy until they burn or explode) and temperature monitoring.