iPad BB 6.15 of iPhone 3Gs?

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by sigtau150, Jun 5, 2011.

1. sigtau150 macrumors newbie

I was thinking of making the mistake... I mean decision to upgrade to the iPad BB from 05.16.02 on my 3Gs, but wanted to know from those that have done this if I totally lose all location features? The main reason I wanted to unlock it is to use the location features in my apps while over in Europe.

Please let me know any experiences that you have.

Thanks!

2. awadeee macrumors 68020

awadeee

The unlock is solid, you just can't restore or upgrade to stock firmware anymore. Upgrade your 3Gs to 4.3.3 before you do this as many believe it is to be the last 3Gs update (rumor). Your GPS will also die. Other than that, you're good!

I do unlocking as a side-job and I do this a lot. Never had a phone come back.

3. sigtau150 thread starter macrumors newbie

That is the main feature I wanted to use over in Europe. So all apps that use a location feature will no longer work? I notice some of them seem to work even when I am in airplane mode and using Wi-Fi. Will those aps fail to find a location after the 6.15 updae as well?

I heard a rumor that it only affects the built in google maps application. But of course that was a rumor.

4. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

That's false.
    It effects everything that would need to use your GPS chip.
    There are a few cases where people's location works but those are the rare exception.
    If you like to gamble go for it.

5. Carlanga macrumors 604

Carlanga

if it uses the GPS chip then it won't work, if an app for some reason uses the WIFI IP address for a location then it will use that, but AFAIK they tend to need the GPS chip.
    You can always have an older or prepaid phone to use in Europe and use WIFI for your iPhone if you need to keep GPS. Enjoy your trip!