iPad - Best Buy Buy back program

Discussion in 'iPad' started by ssgokou29, Jan 20, 2011.

1. ssgokou29 macrumors newbie

Tried searching and couldn't find any threads on this. Basically i've been looking to pick up an ipad, but had no luck with CL.

Saw that bb offers a buy back program if you purchase their plan for $70.

So just wanted to get your opinions on it. Obviously the ipad 2 will debut sometime later, i.e few months, summer...whatever. If i pick up the ipad now and get that program, i would get about 50% of my money back towards the new one if i upgrade within 6 months and hopefully the ipad 2 will be available. What cha guys think of that deal? You think it's worth it? Or just keep searching for a better price on a used on? Thanks.

2. bluemonkeyguy macrumors 6502

I believe you should wait.

I think the buyback program is great and all. But financially, it wouldn't be wise to buy one now and return it later. But by all means purchase it if you truly need it for any business matters or valid reason. The buyback program is worth it in that case. If not, just wait. I've been waiting for this since August.:cool: Besides it will save you money and you wouldn't have to worry about any hassles or taxes.:D

3. Irish Rose macrumors 65816

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8B117 Safari/6531.22.7)

I could get more for my iPad by selling it on eBay, than BB buy back program.

4. ssgokou29 thread starter macrumors newbie

Yeah, i'm telling myself i need it for "business needs" :D. Well i do some webdesign on the side, so having an ipad would help me when i create the mobile version side ;). As soon as i sell off some things then i'll make a firm purchase somewhere. Thanks for your input.

5. Acorn macrumors 68020

Acorn

if you are a coding geek there is a really nice app called textastic that does all kinds of syntex highlighting.

6. GreatDrok macrumors 6502a

GreatDrok

I'm waiting for the iPad 3. Imagine how bad you'll feel to own an iPad 2 when the new even better iPad 3 comes out. Actually, scratch that, the iPad 4 will be much better still so I should wait for that.

Waiting is a mug's game. Don't fret about what will come out. If you want an iPad, just buy one. Look at my sig - I buy stuff and run it until it no longer works. Selling to keep having the latest is financially foolish.

7. baummer macrumors 6502a

Generally, this is good advice, but considering the 1 year date from the initial announcement of the iPad is creeping up, I'd hold out for a couple more months and see.

8. ssgokou29 thread starter macrumors newbie

aight so i caved and picked up an iPAD :eek: picked up a 32gb and loving it so far. Figured i wanted to have one with a homebutton (incase they take it out for the gen2 release) plus waiting for a couple more months, couldn't do it. looking around at suggestion for accessories. Probably gonna pick up a wireless keyboard (possibly apple) still debaitng on returning the apple case i bought with it. Nice firm and feels like my ipad will be very protected. Sucks it may not dock with anything with the case on, but from what i've read, that seems to the be the issue with any cases and docks...thanks for all your inputs and looking forward to testing this to the full extent :D

9. That70sGAdawg macrumors 6502a

That70sGAdawg

N.Georgia, USA (on the Lake, near the Mountains)
    MacCase makes a very nice vintage leather case. iLuv make a great speaker system that fits an iPad or iPhone and charges either.

10. baller1308 macrumors 6502a

I would return the Apple Case. There haven't been many people that like it that much. Browse the iPad Accessories forums and you should get a good idea of what cases are good and which ones aren't, plus you can find out what you want in a case.

11. blackberrypilot macrumors 6502

Check out portenzo cases. It will make you love your iPad even more.

12. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Personally, I like the apple case. It offers a nice balance of protection, looks and size.
    Like many of the cases that tend to be popular, the portenzo case is rather think, and increases the size of the iPad. Plus (speaking personally), I really don't like the look of using bamboo to hold the iPad. There's just too much of the case imo

13. ZilogZ80 macrumors 6502a

I think the Apple case is great. Yes, it gets grubby quite easily but you can clean it plus the surface texture makes it very grippy. You would have an issue plugging it into a dock but this is not something I have ever had cause to do.

14. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

15. topmounter macrumors 68020

topmounter

You pay $70 for the privilege of selling back your <1 year old iPad for 50% (or less) of the purchase price?

You would get a better deal selling your iPad at Gazelle.com or even at your friendly neighborhood pawn shop.

16. Mr. Chewbacca macrumors 6502a

Mr. Chewbacca

So did I. Just didn't want to wait any more. Your going to love it :D this thing is so fun to use!!

17. Mr. Chewbacca macrumors 6502a

Mr. Chewbacca

On the other hand I am going to wait for the update before buying a 3,000 laptop.

18. DaREdBaRoN macrumors member

I also caved and bought a 64 gig. I'm so glad I did this thing is awesome. I did return the apple case and got an incase sleeve and a hard shell to keep the back from getting scratched. Works great and still looks good.

19. joelobrien macrumors newbie

I agree. Craigslist and Ebay are better options. I know they seem to be old hat but you can still get 70-80% of price recouped on a well maintained product. In fact, I got about 90% buyback recently on a laptop via eBay. I would stick with reselling instead of losing the 70 dollars for the plan and the 50%.

20. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

I certainly don't understand how anyone can find a buyback program that you must pay for to be a good deal. If the math is correct and you get 50% or less of the purchase price (minus taxes I'm sure) then you'll likely be giving them the iPad for next to nothing. They'll find reason to give you what? $250 on the $500 iPad, minus your time, effort, and of course $70. I'd much rather keep it and use it as a plate to eat off of.

21. jclardy macrumors 68040

jclardy

I agree. If you put a 16GB wifi iPad on craigslist for $250 you'll probably have it sold by the end of the day.

BB would give you $250 which you have to subtract the $70 that you paid for the buyback program so they are actually giving you only $180 back on it.

I just checked at gazelle.com (Never used them but have heard of them before) and they will give $283 for the same iPad in like new condition. So the Best Buy buyback is definitely not worth it.

22. elan123 macrumors 6502

Much better choices!

23. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

That is if BB decides it is worth 50%. My guess is they'll find a reason NOT to give you at least 50%. BB is not in it to lose money, that's for sure.

24. SidBala macrumors 6502a

Best buy always sucks. Just stay away and sell on ebay.

25. lg2k7 macrumors newbie

The only scenario where the buy back program is nice is cell phones, you get the percentage from retail price of the phone which is a lot better of a deal than what you could get selling it on a ebay exception of iphone which maintains its value a lot better