iPad Books: Project Gutenberg

Discussion in 'iPad Apps' started by uraniumwilly, May 22, 2010.

1. uraniumwilly macrumors 6502

For those who first opened their ibooks app and found 10 dollar to 15 dollar books, there is a staggering and vast treasure trove of free works, such as encyclopedia & dictionary works (One book had over 4 THOUSAND PAGES), classic histories, e.g. Lincoln's own writings, historian treatment on Washington, 'The Works of Xenophon' (2538 pages.), classic literature: Emily Bronte, Mark Twain, Jane Austin, etc.

It's not obvious they're out there. If interested, search 'gutenberg' and then browse.

This a dream come true for me. The reality of carrying around hundreds of thousands of pages of classic literature works one single device like this is extraordinary.

2. gwynne macrumors 68000

gwynne

You can also click the "Free Books" link at the bottom of the first iBooks store page. ;)

3. peterja macrumors regular

peterja

Yeah, Iv'e downloaded a few classics and then the got the covers from here www.epubbooks.com which is also a nice collection of free books.

4. Zazoh macrumors 6502a

Zazoh

So how long before all books are free? Wouldn't it be cheaper for my local library to let me check out eBooks?

Also, as expensive as TV is to produce it is free because of advertising. Why do electronic magazines charge, throw a few ads in there like the paper mags and call it even.

5. .Andy macrumors 68030

.Andy

And don't forget that project gutenberg is only free because of the dedication of volunteers. Their website is here along with a paypal link where one can donate to the cause.

Seeing as you're getting such a good deal from them it wouldn't hurt to swing them the cost of a couple of paperbacks to say thanks and invest in more titles in the future.