Ipad box quesiton

Discussion in 'iPad' started by TB2010, Apr 27, 2011.

1. TB2010 macrumors newbie

Ok, this maybe little on the dumb side :)

I just got an IPAD2. However, the box says IPAD on it. No where does it says IPAD2 on the box. Should it? It was given to me as a present and a trust source. I know they got it from a retail location, not e-bay.

So I wanted to make sure before I open it that I have 2, is there a way to tell?

thx

2. Ava's Meeshee macrumors member

If the unit in the photo on the box is turned to the side it's the 2. If it's facing forward its the 1. Either way it'd only say "iPad". Apple sells only the most recent models of their lines at a time so they keep the same name without model numbers and discontinue the previous ones.

3. thunderbunny macrumors 6502a

thunderbunny

There is a distinct difference. Googled pics of iPad1 (right) and iPad 2 (left) boxes attached.

Attached Files:

4. doodads macrumors 6502

doodads

If you got it from a trusted source, why are you asking this question??

5. Blakjack macrumors 68000

Blakjack

Search engines should just not exist anymore since people arent going to use them.

6. TB2010 thread starter macrumors newbie

7. AceCoolie, Apr 27, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 27, 2011

AceCoolie macrumors regular

Just so you don't feel dumb, I had the same question as well. I had been keeping an eye on my local Walmart and one day, they had one there but since it didn't say anywhere on the box that it was an iPad2, there were no other iPad boxes to compare it with, and none of the employees had a clue, I was a little hesitant to buy it. Would it kill Apple to put some indication on the box somewhere?? I got it but only after they said I could return it if it wasn't what I wanted. Now I've got a iPad2 64GB wifi.

8. saving107 macrumors 603

saving107

I'm not making fun of anyone, but I'm confused by this post.

[​IMG]

Not only are the packaging different for both versions, but the iPad to the right is clearly missing the Camera, PhotoBooth, FaceTime and GameCenter icons. Unfortunately the box may not say iPad 2, but I would think that alone would be enough of a way to uniquely identify the two.

9. AceCoolie macrumors regular

The confusion comes when someone who has never thought the had to google what the box looks like ahead of time walks into a store to get an iPad 2. They expect to find a box that says iPad 2 on it.

If, as in my case, you've never seen ANY iPad boxes before because your a first time buyer, and the store only has 1 single box so you can't compare it to anything and the picture on the box doesn't show the identyfing features of the new model such as the cameras etc., and you ask the employee if they know if it's the new model and their system just lists it as the iPad, the customer is left scratching their head.

This is a fail on apples part.

10. thunderbunny macrumors 6502a

thunderbunny

But it's likely not an iPad 1 box, the details you mentioned are a lot harder to spot on the angled picture on the new boxes, especially if it's a black model.

11. bowlerman625 macrumors 68020

bowlerman625

That makes 2 of us!

12. TheWheelMan macrumors 6502a

TheWheelMan

Keep in mind that even you said the question might be a little dumb.

13. lionqueen macrumors 6502

Also keep in mind that this is the internet, where the opportunity to make someone feel a little bad is never wasted.

14. ZZ Bottom macrumors 6502a

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Mobile/8C148)

The iPad 1 box you are showing is outdated. Apple updated the box in fall 2010 after units started shipping with iOS 4 pre installed. Besides what new customer is going to have a clue about missing homescreen icons.

15. eagleglen macrumors 6502a

eagleglen

I can definitely appreciate the confusion the OP had. When I bought my iPad 2 on launch day, I also wanted one of the new docks. The Apple sales girls that was helping me, gave me a dock in a box that only said "iPad Dock". When I asked if this was the new one for the iPad 2, she gave the same answer that Apple only sells one version at a time, so this had to be the newest one. In fact, she was wrong. It was the original version. And never would I have ever thought to Google the image of the box before hand.

I think it is strange Apple didn't put the "2" on the iPad's box. The iPhone 4 has the number "4" on it's box!

16. benhollberg macrumors 68020

benhollberg

Just curious, does the box of either the first generation iPad or iPad 2 say that price on it. I want to pick up a iPad first generation but I don't want it to say that $399 price. I am doing this as a collection and I need the plastic still on. I can't remember if the price was on a sticker on that box or not.

17. btbrossard macrumors 6502a

I can see how the average consumer could be confused. Esp the newer (original model) iPads that have the same wallpaper in the pic as the new model.

18. mtnDewFTW macrumors 6502a

Nope. The only thing that it says on the box is the info about the iPad like the serial number and such. Other than that, it's all pretty standard stuff. Usually apple doesn't out price tags on their products. Especially if it's not refurbished.

19. benhollberg macrumors 68020

benhollberg

Cool thanks. I want to pick one up to collect them but I am never going to open it. I don't want to price of $399 on it though.