iPad brightness maximum turning off

Discussion in 'iPad Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by gt55, Sep 10, 2011.

1. gt55 macrumors newbie

Hi guys,

Got a bit of a strange problem. I was given a broken 1st gen iPad, and I reckoned I could put it back together and get it working.
    It's been previously taken to bits, and is well out of warranty.

So, after I put it back together, the problem is this: the backlight is always on maximum. No matter what the auto-brightness or slider settings are. On one or two random occasions, the brightness control bar in settings has worked correctly for me and I've seen the screen get visibly dimmer or brighner... but the next day when I turn it on again, it's stopped working.

The brightness I'm seeing exceeds the maximum on the slider (from the one or two times it's worked correctly). The iPad gets really hot.
    Then, after a while, the backlight will turn off. I can still see that the iPad is still responding to touch etc - it's just so dark you can barely see it. Turning it off and on again fixes it, but it doesn't last for very long unless you power off for a decent amount of time and let it cool down. Seems to me the problems are probably related, ie the backlight's too high, it's overheating and turning off.

The front panel is a little bit loose, so I thought maybe one of the cables was intermittently getting/losing contact. I've taken the front panel off and re-seated the three cables a couple of times, and it's still not working. For all the "teardown" videos etc on the web, nothing really explains what functions and signals each of these three cables has.

Also thought it could be a software bug/ I'm considering restoring it, but it seems unlikely to me as a potential problem, as the first thing I did on getting it was update it to the latest iOS via iTunes.

I'd like to fix it myself as I'm not keen on spending a lot of money to get it repaired, and I feel it's probably something simple.

Anyone seen this before? Or got any suggestions or useful sites they can recommend for further investigation?

Cheers,

GT

2. gt55 thread starter macrumors newbie

Further investigation:

It seems to work if powered fully off and allowed to charge.
    The first time I boot it during or after charging, the brightness control works ok, the battery doesn't drain anywhere near as fast, and I haven't observed it stalling yet.

If I lock the screen and then unlock, it stops behaving.
    This is regardless of the auto-brightness setting.

I've just restored it as a new device. Doesn't make any difference either.

3. AlexSleepy macrumors newbie

Hey gt55!
    Did you find any solution? I'm having exactly the same problem here now

4. gt55 thread starter macrumors newbie

Unfortunately not.

Just working around by keeping it attached to the charger when I'm not using it.
    Once I turn it on, it stays on until it goes back to charge.

5. gt55 thread starter macrumors newbie

Found solution.

I bought a new 10W iPad charger from the apple store, and this problem no longer happens on my iPad.
    Up until that point, I had been relying on my PC USB port and an amazon kindle charger, both of which are not able to supply the full 10W of a dedicated iPad charger.

I have no idea why charging the iPad with a lower-power supply would cause this particular problem to manifest, but it seems to have been solved now.

6. jimmy575 macrumors member

There are one of two things happening with your iPad: Something software-related (which I could help with) or something hardware-related (which I would have no idea.

As far as software goes, here are the steps your can take: Restart device, reset all settings, restore device as new in iTunes.

If, after restoring as new, the issue persists, there is something wrong with the hardware on your device.