iPad Brightness Slider Problem

Discussion in 'iPad' started by xterminator, Aug 28, 2010.

1. xterminator macrumors newbie

Hi there ..

I own a 32 GB WiFi iPad for about 2-3 months. Everything was fine till I noticed that the battery started to drain a lot faster than usual (only gave me 2-3 hours).

I didn't know the cause up till I noticed a few days ago that the brightness slider, although slides, has no effect on the brightness of the screen! I slide to the right and to the left .... Nothing happens! It seems to be stuck on the highest setting (hence the battery drain). This also happens whether Auto-Brightness is turned on or even off.

iBooks brightness works just fine so I'm assuming it's not a hardware problem.

I did a full restore via iTunes and updated my OS from 3.2.1 to 3.2.2 (I think it had 3.2 when I got it). I also did a settings restore, and reset the device (both soft and hard) multiple times but the issue still remains.

One more thing I just noticed is that the slider works just fine when it's charging and immediately after I unplug it! But soon as I hit the sleep button and turn it back on again, it goes back to the high brightness setting.

Please help me fix this issue asap cuz it's very annoying! It also causes the iPad to heat up very quick.

Thnx

2. xterminator thread starter macrumors newbie

Just an update:

It appears that the brightness-charging issue happens only when the battery is fully charged and still plugged in.

I've been trying to get it back with a 72% battery with no luck.

3. SVT Amateur macrumors 6502

Take it to the Apple store and they will replace it.

4. xterminator thread starter macrumors newbie

It was working just fine for quite a while, so I'm hoping there's a solution I can try. Also, I'm not in the US and there's no Apple Store here ...

5. Fleetwood Mac macrumors 65816

Fleetwood Mac

When you restored your iPad did you set it up as a new device or use a back? If you haven't already try restiri g as a new device.

If you have I wonder if you actually do have a hardware pronlwm (potentially with the ambient light sensor).

6. xterminator thread starter macrumors newbie

I restored from a backup, to get my synced data from iTunes. I might try restoring as a new device, but what will happen to my data? Will I be able to retrieve it as well ?

I really hope it's not a hardware problem.

7. gt55 macrumors newbie

8. gt55 macrumors newbie

Found solution.

I bought a new 10W iPad charger from the apple store, and this problem no longer happens on my iPad.
    Up until that point, I had been relying on my PC USB port and an amazon kindle charger, both of which are not able to supply the full 10W of a dedicated iPad charger.

I have no idea why charging the iPad with a lower-power supply would cause this particular problem to manifest, but it seems to have been solved now.