iPad broken from old age?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by bcodemz, Jan 1, 2016.

1. bcodemz macrumors member

Does anyone have an old iPad that stopped working from "old age"? For example, it stopped working not because you dropped it or splashed water on it, but just randomly stopped working?

I have an iPad 3 for almost 4 years now, and it is still beautifully fast and smooth on iOS 7 (no way I'm updating iOS). I plan on using it until it breaks. Curious how long these things last.

2. bufffilm macrumors 601

bufffilm

I suppose it can happen, but no reason to think you won't get more years life out of it.

My older sis has an ipad3 and I've told her not to update it past ios7...don't know if she heeded me or not.

3. VanillaCracker macrumors 68030

VanillaCracker

That doesn't really happen. The only things that would (realistically) stop working from old age would be things like the home button (from overuse) or the lock button. Those are physical things though. It's also possible for a display to go out over time to (just die out) but that would be after like 10 years. These things are built to last. If you don't drop it at all, you likely won't see anything stop working, aside from (potentially) those external physical buttons.

4. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

In addition to external buttons, the battery can stop holding charge.

5. darknyt macrumors 6502a

I still have a Gen 1 iPad that is working perfectly. Kids have even used it for a long while until they became too spoiled with Air/Air 2 to want to use it, lol. 1st world problems.

Slow compared to Air and Air 2, but no complaints.