iPad + bt keyboard + magic mouse = WIN

Discussion in 'iPad Hacks' started by peapody, Jun 13, 2010.

1. peapody macrumors 68040

peapody

So I guess this is a fairly new thing out there (although there are blogs on gizmodo and some youtube vids out)...that you can use a mouse and keyboard on the ipad. I am happy to say that I have been with this set up for the last few day and it has been really nice! Thought I would just describe the hack a little for those who are interested.

How to do it: Jailbreak.
    1. Jailbreak your ipad with spirit - takes like 2 seconds.
    2. Go to cydia and in the cydia store buy btstack keyboard.
    3. Do a search for bt stack mouse.
    4. Install both.
    5. Turn off your bluetoooth in settings. yes, OFF.
    (I have backgrounder installed on native - you may or may not need this. Haven't tried it without it.)
    6. Open btstack keyboard app first and add your keyboard.
    7. Open bt stack mouse app and add your mouse.
    8. Exit, and enjoy!

Outcomes:

Mouse
    The mouse works across all apps and on your home screens, and has just the tiniest bit of lag sometimes. You can adjust the speed of the mouse in your settings. In general, very smooth. You do not need to double click, and you (obviously) cannot use gestures to scroll etc. I went out and bought a magic mouse to use with my macbook pro and with the ipad, but if you are do not want to go out and purchase a magic mouse just for your ipad (I wouldn't) - get an HID bluetooth mouse.

Keyboard
    The kb operates as it should. The problem is that some keys are still not recognized (up/down/left/right etc). However, you can get by using your mouse to direct where your cursor should go. It was a bit testy getting my keyboard to be recognized by the program. But don't get impatient. Just let the app search for the device, find your device. Click on the keyboard of your choice and let it do its thing. Make sure you are in discoverable mode on your kb.

In general:

Aside from the initial issues with the kb, the mouse pairing is so easy and quick. With this set up you can defintely mistake yourself for being on an iPad if you use a web browser like iCab. Looks just like safari! To scroll you have to click and use the mouse as you would if you were using your finger. Using the set up in word processing has been a dream because the arrows dont work on the bt kb. I don't have to awkwardly look up and touch my screen when I need to go somewhere. Therefore, I really like what I have going here! Even when iOs4 comes out, I don't think I will upgrade until I know for sure that I can use these programs once again.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Pushkar macrumors 6502a

What advantages does this offer between iPad and say a Macbook? :rolleyes:

3. peapody thread starter macrumors 68040

peapody

Everyone has been asking me this! So I guess it isn't obvious.

iPad + peripherals > netbook, macbook only in some situations.
    1. For travel - you can have the portability of the ipad when you are out and about, and word processing power/ power to do work when you want to sit down in hotel/coffee shop etc
    2. Smaller than macbook obviously.
    3. I have my iPad right next to my macbook pro. It is nice to be able to access apps and etc, even use it as a dedicated chat machine on the side.
    4. This set up in NO WAY BEATS OUT A MACBOOK, iMAC, MACBOOK PRO, NETBOOK, etc..and whoever thinks so is a fool. :rolleyes:

However, with this set up, you get an iPad. Haha. You get to separate the screen from the kb and mouse.. something you can't do with the full size computers. For some people who have their iPad as their main device (and I know these people are out there).. you now have options. :p

Other nice things.
    When you are viewing on your stand up stand or on a dock. Awkward to touch and type.
    And of course...to impress other people.

4. scirica macrumors 68020

scirica

Installed

Nice! With the limitations you have already described, this is a nice improvement to the UI of the iPad. While I can continue to use the touch screen interface when on a plane or in bed, etc, while I'm in my living room reading content or responding to emails this is pure genius! I'm noticing a couple of other things on my setup with the Apple BT keyboard, one of which is that CAPS LOCK does not work so I have to shift + key to get caps (small inconvenience as I don't yell much on here ;).

Is there a guide that shows what all the inputs on the mouse can be configured to do? Right now I see that I can click/hold to scroll, center button to close an app, but that's all.

It's very much like I have a little netbook now, but with the flexibility of picking it up and using the touch screen too.

Great find!

5. UCF Sam macrumors regular

Doesnt the ipad already support bluetooth keyboards? Why would you need to use the BT stack?

6. scirica macrumors 68020

scirica

Absolutely supports the bluetooth keyboard out of the box. This is only required if you want to use both a bt keyboard and a bluetooth mouse. I am curious to see if I can use the standard bt stack for the keyboard and just use the btstack from Cydia for the mouse.

Edit: Gave it one try and it doesn't work with the native bt stack enabled. I'm hoping that a developer finds a way eventually to use the native stack and just add on bt mouse capability. That would be the best of both worlds.

7. peapody thread starter macrumors 68040

peapody

Glad it worked for you. I have not set up any remote desktop apps yet, but once I do I will be testing out the use of the mouse kb set up there. Imagine working on your iPad like you are working on your desktop. A very nifty device!

I have not found any guides as this mod just popped up within the last month so it is fairly undiscovered and new. Would be great if we had a running list of the shortcuts!

8. bursthead macrumors 6502

bursthead

It's not clear to me through your post. but I was wondering if can you scroll web pages using magic mouse?

9. scirica macrumors 68020

scirica

I know you were asking about the magic mouse, but I can tell you that my Dell mini BT mouse scrolls web pages.

10. j3yq macrumors 6502

j3yq

my MM didn't scroll, But it worked just fine! now I just need to get a keyboard dock and I will have a nice little side set up at work. I also suggest using the 2/3 key swapped under setting so that the right click will let you exit a app instead of putting it to sleep.