Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

yankintx

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 2, 2010
Just a simple yay or nay as to whether you would purchase your Ipad again. After a couple weeks playing with it, I would.

mcdj

macrumors G3
Jul 10, 2007
NYC
a. your thread title is misleading
b. it's been covered in many threads.

LinMac

macrumors 65816
Oct 28, 2007
I don't have my iPad yet, but after using the WIFI version a friend owns I do not regret the preorder at all. I consider it a lot like asking someone who bought the iPhone 2G in 2007 if they regretted buying an iPhone without the App Store or a lot of the features we have now.

No, because there is nothing else like it on the market. :D

WannaApple?

macrumors 6502a
Jun 9, 2008
I probably would not repurchase and in fact have been debating whether to return this one before the cut off date or not. Cant use wifi at places like Panera or Starbucks and even when home and I try to use ipad to watch youtube videos, they pause and stop because of the connection I guess.
Love the size of the ipad, but isn't working as well as I would like for $500.

r0k

macrumors 68040
Mar 3, 2008
Detroit
If I thought I could send Apple a message they would actually listen to by taking mine back, I'd take it back today and wait for a version that handles files without third party software or jail-breaking. I'm happy with most aspects of the iPad but I lost a half an hour yesterday as I was leaving to go to a meeting because I couldn't get the budget pdf files loaded onto my iPad without trying a half dozen workarounds.

I never should have had to spend that much time and energy on such a mundane task.

I got to my meeting a half hour late and it turns out I didn't need all the details in all the files but I was glad I had them with me. I was able to take notes in the meeting reasonably well. Overall I was happy to have my iPad with me. But the file handling limitation will only grow and get on my nerves more with time. I've already sunk about $15 in third party workarounds plus $20 to buy Pages and Numbers. While I was disappointed when Apple didn't mention file handling at the OS 4.0 preview, I was encouraged that they mentioned attachment handling. I have to wait until November to find out how well they do this. So do I walk around with an imperfect iPad, grumbling about this or do I take it back and pick one up in November if I'm happy with what they eventually do with OS 4.0?

So that's my buyer's remorse. It revolves around my desire to show Apple some "tough love" in the area that is most likely to get their attention, when I fill out the survey about why I returned my iPad. Now if only I thought I could really do without one 'till November. :eek:

ballen420

macrumors 6502
Mar 21, 2008
South of Boston
I probably would not repurchase and in fact have been debating whether to return this one before the cut off date or not. Cant use wifi at places like Panera or Starbucks and even when home and I try to use ipad to watch youtube videos, they pause and stop because of the connection I guess.

I'm in the same exact boat. I think I am going to return mine as the wi-fi disconnections are starting to really bother me, as well as YouTube taking as long, if not longer, to buffer as my iPhone. I was really expecting YouTube to function like my iMac.

If I didn't have Wi-Fi issues, I would deal with the YouTube issue, but I'm concerned that there really hasn't been any solid communication on this being software related that can be fixed with a firmware update.

KJ500

macrumors member
Apr 13, 2010
When the 3g version finally comes out I might buy it and give the one I have now to my kids.
The folks at the Apple store had no real idea when the 3g pad would be out so I got the wifi version.

LOVE IT! No complaints!

Beau10

macrumors 65816
Apr 6, 2008
US based digital nomad
Use GoodReader + Google Docs. Could hardly be easier (save having access to the file system)

If I thought I could send Apple a message they would actually listen to by taking mine back, I'd take it back today and wait for a version that handles files without third party software or jail-breaking. I'm happy with most aspects of the iPad but I lost a half an hour yesterday as I was leaving to go to a meeting because I couldn't get the budget pdf files loaded onto my iPad without trying a half dozen workarounds.

I never should have had to spend that much time and energy on such a mundane task.

I got to my meeting a half hour late and it turns out I didn't need all the details in all the files but I was glad I had them with me. I was able to take notes in the meeting reasonably well. Overall I was happy to have my iPad with me. But the file handling limitation will only grow and get on my nerves more with time. I've already sunk about $15 in third party workarounds plus $20 to buy Pages and Numbers. While I was disappointed when Apple didn't mention file handling at the OS 4.0 preview, I was encouraged that they mentioned attachment handling. I have to wait until November to find out how well they do this. So do I walk around with an imperfect iPad, grumbling about this or do I take it back and pick one up in November if I'm happy with what they eventually do with OS 4.0?

So that's my buyer's remorse. It revolves around my desire to show Apple some "tough love" in the area that is most likely to get their attention, when I fill out the survey about why I returned my iPad. Now if only I thought I could really do without one 'till November. :eek:

diabolic

macrumors 68000
Jun 13, 2007
Austin, Texas
If I didn't have Wi-Fi issues, I would deal with the YouTube issue, but I'm concerned that there really hasn't been any solid communication on this being software related that can be fixed with a firmware update.

I'm pretty sure it's not a hardware or wifi reception strength issue. We have several networks here and only have iPad disconnections on one of them.

Not only do I have no buyer's remorse, I'm planning on buying at least one more for my wife and maybe one for the kids eventually, so they'll stop asking to use mine all the time. :)

undrpsi

macrumors regular
Mar 28, 2010
Gastonia, NC
Definitely buy again or probably buy a 3G and give this one to the wife. :)

+1

I mirror some of r0k's pages/file managment beefs. WHY can I open any Office doc but only the newest version of Pages (OSX) ? I can't open 08 Pages docs???? Er..Why? Why does Pages (iPad) break ALL formating? Grr..it's not very useable in it's current form. It's more like the "Notepad" app in windows...not even the better "Wordpad" version. :mad:

Aside from that...it's damn near perfect. I don't have any of the other issues or they aren't applicable to my use. I got the 64gig model and would gladly buy another...if I had the $$$ :rolleyes:

kas23

macrumors 603
Oct 28, 2007
Use GoodReader + Google Docs. Could hardly be easier (save having access to the file system)

Yes, but if you're at work (or wherever) and don't have iTunes loaded on your computer of have access to WiFi, then you're screwed. Apple should allow us to have a central file storage space where you can place files in and out via USB, email, or whatever.

Nevertheless, the poster you quoted should have known about these limitations beforehand. And he's silly enough to be using this for anything work related (read: important). The iPad is stream-lined to work with iTunes only and is not a stand alone device and is not a computer replacement.

PhoneI

macrumors 68000
Mar 7, 2008
Not only would I definitely buy it again, I am actually doing that. Buying a second one for my wife.

Jmacman78

macrumors 6502
Jan 7, 2007
Northwest, CT
I was so hesitant to buy one until I got to try it out for myself and I am really glad I did. Everyone I show it to now wants one.

I would definitely buy it again.

ballen420

macrumors 6502
Mar 21, 2008
South of Boston
I'm pretty sure it's not a hardware or wifi reception strength issue. We have several networks here and only have iPad disconnections on one of them.

Not only do I have no buyer's remorse, I'm planning on buying at least one more for my wife and maybe one for the kids eventually, so they'll stop asking to use mine all the time. :)

Hmm...I need to find a good thread with some useful information. I have a router that's crippled by Verizon - maybe that's the issue? I tried checking the Verizon FiOS boards but don't see anything there. It's not a wireless N network, so it should be unrelated to the band issues.

I really want to keep it, but it's frustrating right now.

robotkiller

macrumors 6502
Oct 25, 2009

AirShare HD - it allows the ipad show up as a wireless networked drive. You simply drop files into it. The Airshare app will read PDFs and allow documents to be opened by Pages (or other relevant third party apps). It also will read your email accounts and pull attachments from there as well. It's well worth the money.

PhoneI

macrumors 68000
Mar 7, 2008
Hmm...I need to find a good thread with some useful information. I have a router that's crippled by Verizon - maybe that's the issue? I tried checking the Verizon FiOS boards but don't see anything there. It's not a wireless N network, so it should be unrelated to the band issues.

I really want to keep it, but it's frustrating right now.

I am 100 percent sure you will be seeing a software update in the next few weeks to address the Wifi problems.

jsbaugh

macrumors 6502
Jun 19, 2009
I have decided to get the 3G when its out and give my Wifi to the wife and kids. My kids really enjoy using it and its hard to get it away from them. I also havent had any Wifi issues, although I have not taken it out of the house yet.

3goldens

macrumors 68000
Feb 26, 2008
Born NYC Living in CT
My god you can't figure out how to get files on this thing and load an excel spreadsheet, or use third party programs to access your files? Try mobile mate.

Sounds to me as though you have no idea how tomuse a sophisticated piece of equipment and should return it!

Trek2100

macrumors 6502a
Oct 20, 2009
Sevierville, TN

Since when can you not have WiFi at Starbucks and Panera Bread? I do not understand. There have been a number of posters on these forums that have used their iPad at Starbucks. With Starbucks you can get a "free" starbucks card and load some money on it to make your purchases. I've had a starbucks card for a number of years and keep 10 to 20 dollars on it for coffee, etc. Once you have registered your card online and set up the WiFi in the store you get 2 free hours per day. I have not personally used Panera Bread's WiFi but everytime I go into the one near me there are at least 6 to 10 people using their laptops. If the requirement is that you have to make a purchase, so be it, thats just common business sense.

e²Studios

macrumors 68020
Apr 12, 2005
Since when can you not have WiFi at Starbucks and Panera Bread? I do not understand. There have been a number of posters on these forums that have used their iPad at Starbucks. With Starbucks you can get a "free" starbucks card and load some money on it to make your purchases. I've had a starbucks card for a number of years and keep 10 to 20 dollars on it for coffee, etc. Once you have registered your card online and set up the WiFi in the store you get 2 free hours per day. I have not personally used Panera Bread's WiFi but everytime I go into the one near me there are at least 6 to 10 people using their laptops. If the requirement is that you have to make a purchase, so be it, thats just common business sense.

I'm not sure what they are talking about, I have used my iPad at a Starbucks as well as a Panera Bread. Panera does not require a purchase, at least the one I was at didn't.

I have yet to see any of this WiFi issue, using the speedtest.net app I was getting fiber speeds through my wifi connection at home. I haven't experienced any issues with wireless, in fact I seem to have more wireless issues on my MBP than the iPad.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.