iPad buying advice please!

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Bassyy, Sep 11, 2010.

1. Bassyy macrumors member

Hi everyone.

In the buyer's guide, there is no 'iPad' section, hence why I am posting here!
    I have never been massively impressed with the iPad, but now I am starting to change my mind.
    So. I really want this iPad, and it's only 5 months after the iPad was released! So.. should I buy my iPad now (will actually buy in the next month), or should I wait until next year (which I don't really want to do, but may prove to be worth it).

The iPad 2 might well have similar upgrades to the new iPod Touch, like Retina Display, 2 camera's, face lift, etc. Which I would not want to miss out on!

So what do you all think? I could always pop my iPad on eBay at first word of the new iPad and hope to sell it before the new iPad is offically released, then with enough money I could upgrade? I don't know!

Baring in mind, I am quite inpatient so..

2. killmoms macrumors 68040

killmoms

It really comes down to “is seven months of use of a device worth its price to you?” If the answer is yes, buy it. If it’s not, then don’t. You have to balance waiting to get cooler tech against the fact that buying now lets you have the device NOW and use it for seven months—getting used to the interface, finding apps you like, and just generally enjoying it for that time.

A couple things that could help you save some money overall: buy a refurbished current model, and then just be willing to sell your current one when the new one comes out.

3. bchell@hotmail. macrumors newbie

ipad buyer's guide

I, too, would like to see the ipad on the buyer's guide.

I plan on waiting for generation 2 but would welcome any input the guide can provide...

4. Maziar macrumors 6502

I bought an iPad 3 months ago and i absolutely love it.
    If you want to wait for something,you can't every buy anything because there is alway something new around the corner.
    When the next gen ipad comes out,you'll hear rumors about iPad 3(or whatever it will be called),and the cycle continues.
    That's my opinion though,everyone has different thoughts

5. TIO macrumors newbie

TIO

This.

I was skeptical about buying an iPad, too. I considered waiting for iPad 2 before jumping on the bandwagon. Then I used one a buddy had purchased, and my mind was pretty instantly changed. I bought mine about 3 weeks ago, and I'm glad I did. I find new things I like about it on a daily basis, and seem to enjoy it more and more as time passes.

6. ngenerator macrumors 68000

ngenerator

What a unique, original thread! Why do they even have the search bar at the top of the screen if nobody's going to use it?

7. maturola macrumors 68040

maturola

go get one, you will enjoy so so much.....

If you really like the iPad2 upgrade (don't count on retina display, the mayor update will be Facetime-Front facing camera), you can resell you iPad for a pretty good price and get the new one for just a few 100s (it will worth it for the 6 ~7 months of usage)

8. Adibobea9 macrumors member

They put the search bar at the top so you have something to complain about. I never understood why people bother getting so upset on the internet over such trivial things. If you think his post is stupid don't respond in it and it will eventually go away.

If I have a question and the topic is not on the first page I am going to start a new post. I am not going to waste my time searching the archives for an answer…

9. Chupa Chupa macrumors G5

Chupa Chupa

Buy now, sell later. There is usually a 1-2 week lag between an Apple announcement and the gen pub. realizing a new model is out. That gives you plenty of time to sell Gen 1 on eBay at a good price.

Use that $ to buy Gen 2. It makes no sense to hold on to Apple CE b/c of the way Apple bakes in its obsolescence (I give you the iPhone, and to a large extent the 3G as example).

If you don't feel like shelling out that much money in the span of a year ($499-899 now, another $150-500 1Q next year) then just wait until next year. Honestly, best value is always to buy Apple products on Day One.

10. DNAppleGold macrumors regular

I think the way you framed the issue is dead on. Unless an update in imminent or the product is far past a normal update cycle, the best advice is to buy when you need to use the devise. This advice is particularly sound with the Ipad. Unlike the original non-3g Iphone, there are no gaping performance issues with the Ipad nor are prices likely to come down other than getting more specs for the same price. Other than front camera, the update will likely be a booster shot not a reconfig.

The iPad is my favorite Mac product (and I own them all), and one that I use more and more as time goes buy. If you want it and can afford it, buy one.

11. MrWillie macrumors 65816

MrWillie

Buy now and enjoy. Just because I new one comes out, doesn't mean you are short changed or you need to rush out and buy ver 2. I don't see how a front camera would work that well on a 9.7" iPad. A dock? Well put the camera in the dock. Let all versions use it. But really, how many people are using face time now, and how many people use the iSight camera that is in EVERY Apple laptop and iMac ? So something all of a sudden gets a slick marketing name and everyone has to have it.

Edit: Okay a case that props it up...

12. Built macrumors 68020

Right on as usual, MrWillie...

13. Meever macrumors 6502a

How do you make a buyer's guide when we don't have a update timeline? :D

I'm getting mine soon I think. As mentioned by others I think using it for 5 months and selling little before the new one comes out makes sense.

If the update is worth it then I got my ipad and used it for a while. If the update is weak I can just skip it.

Main concern is the November update.... but why would they? ipads are still selling like hotcakes and it's not even readily available in most countries. Seems silly to update a product not available to all their potential customers yet.

14. ngenerator macrumors 68000

ngenerator

Then you are violating forum rules and deserve to be banned.

15. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

Hint. Try to do a search first and see if there is a similar thread that may answer your question or at least be in the ballpark. Then if you can't find a thread like that, start a new one.

No reason to clutter up MacRumors with similar threads. :)

16. rhinosrcool macrumors 65816

rhinosrcool

Good answer. At present, the iPad is great. Just because a new one comes out doesn't mean the previous models is useless. As much as I like my iPhone4, my last model, the iPhone 3GS still is a great phone.

Compared to phones' often annual upgrading, I don't think as many people will upgrade their ipads. There's no carrier subsidy and it's seen as less essential than a phone. That said, if a new one has features that I desire, I will go for it.

17. kimsmarkin macrumors newbie

The cost difference between the 16GB or 32GB flash chips is about $ 20 from Apple. Why did they even bother to make a 16GB version?

18. BigRedOne macrumors regular

I thought it is closer to a $100. difference, maybe I'm wrong...

19. ngenerator macrumors 68000

ngenerator

They're talking about the actual cost to Apple, not the cost to the customer. And yes, it's cheap