iPad Buying Advice

Discussion in 'iPad' started by mertyz, Nov 25, 2011.

1. mertyz macrumors regular

mertyz

Hi everyone!

About two months ago, I posted a thread about the Mac Mini but unfortunately the supplier was unable to supply it and therefore I couldn't purchase it. Then I decided to wait for the next MBP upgrade since my current notebook is still working just fine. But recently, after giving a bit of a thought about "What would be the best device for me?", I kind of decided to go with iPad, instead of MBP.

I'm in my sophomore year at the university and studying Computer Technology and Information Systems. As I develop several web-based projects, I also do a lot of coding and that sort of stuff so at first, I thought getting a 13" MBP would be more portable than my current 1-year-old 15" notebook which I would also be able to carry around with me everyday at school and work on my projects.

Then I thought about the amount of coding I did outside my house so far, which equals to zero. Since all my projects are stored on my server, I can pretty much use any computer for coding and naturally that includes the open lab in our department as well. So I finally decided that getting a MBP would be a want-over-need in this situation as I have access to a computer at any time and if I need one when I'm not at the university, I can use my current notebook.

However, there still a few things I'm not comfortable with doing with a notebook/desktop or things I want to do on a more portable device than a notebook. To list some of them:

- Checking Emails: Sometimes I need to check my emails before I go out for school but booting my notebook takes some time so I have to leave my computer on during the night to be able to check my email accounts.
    - Reading PDF Files & Browsing the Web: Sitting in front of a computer just to read is probably the most uncomfortable thing in the world. I have lots of PDF files waiting for me to read them but I always give up after reading about 10 pages, as it is really uncomfortable. I would prefer doing the occasional web browsing on my couch while watching TV, rather than on a chair. I also follow the news regularly and newspapers' applications look great.
    - Working on Documents: Being a student, most of the times I need to have some lecture notes with me or make small changes on my papers.
    - Watching Videos: I enjoy watching talks at TED.com or browsing YouTube.
    - Micro-blogging: I use Twitter extensively.
    - Developing Mobile Apps: Some of the projects I'm working on are actually services for mobile users. Having a device to test the UX would be great.
    - Using iOS Apps: I have a 2nd generation iPod Touch and there are many apps I enjoy using. But since it's no longer supported software-wise, I need a new iDevice to keep using their new versions. Also, there are many iPad-specific apps that look truly amazing and I would love to use them.

I can actually extend this list further but I don't think it is needed. 98% of the tasks I perform daily on my notebook are easier, more comfortable and/or a lot more fun to perform on the iPad. By the way, for the money I would spend to get the base model 13" MBP, I can buy an iPad 2, an SSD for my notebook (to increase its performance) and a Mac Mini :)

Also, I already have a 3G-capable Android phone which is pretty sufficient for basic tasks and I'm planning to use it as a hotspot for the iPad when there are no wireless networks available so I'm planning to get the 16GB Wi-Fi version.

Now, here are my questions:

1) Do you think it is a good decision to go with the iPad instead of a smaller notebook for the given tasks?
    2) Should I wait for iPad 3?

Thanks in advance!

2. mertyz thread starter macrumors regular

mertyz

3. Ecoh macrumors 6502a

Ecoh

For most of the uses you have listed, the iPad would be perfect. Not sure about working on documents, depends on how much typing and formatting you need to do.

If you are developing for mobile devices, I would think you would need to have an iPad just for that purpose alone.

The iPad 3 is about 3-4 months away, do you need one right now or can you wait ? You could always buy now and then sell to upgrade later. If you are going to be doing a lot of mobile app developing you might want two iPads. One just for developing and one to use for your personal data.

4. mertyz thread starter macrumors regular

mertyz

Thanks for your opinions, looks like we're thinking in the same way :)

iPad 3 wouldn't be available in the stores in our country for about 4 months after its release (because of huge demand), so I decided to take the plunge and got one today :)