Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

macingman

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jan 2, 2011
I was in a local electronics shop called JB HIFI here in Australia (Similiar to radioshack in the states). They have a tablets stand where all of the tablets are on show (iPad, Galaxy Tab, Some acer rubbish etc.). There was a line of about 10 people waiting to test out the iPad 2 and noone was using any of the other tablets.

This is proof to me that Apple is completly dominating the tablet market thus far and is by far the most preffered tablet by comsumers. People were just excited to be able to try out the iPad 2 let alone buy one.

erayser

macrumors 65816
Apr 9, 2011
San Diego
I was in a local electronics shop called JB HIFI here in Australia (Similiar to radioshack in the states). They have a tablets stand where all of the tablets are on show (iPad, Galaxy Tab, Some acer rubbish etc.). There was a line of about 10 people waiting to test out the iPad 2 and noone was using any of the other tablets.

This is proof to me that Apple is completly dominating the tablet market thus far and is by far the most preffered tablet by comsumers. People were just excited to be able to try out the iPad 2 let alone buy one.

Radio Shacks are closing left and right in our area.:p

I'd love to visit Australia someday though... and enjoy my iPad 2 during the flight.:)

Chazn

macrumors regular
Mar 25, 2011
Too bad Australians have to buy it for an extra $79 on the base model.
In the US, the iPads start from $499.

Actually i realised all of the Apple products in Australia are over-priced. (This might change when the Australian currency falls against the US dollar)

SydneyJunkie

macrumors regular
Aug 1, 2010
do their ipads come with a pre-stocked kangaroo app? then why on earth would they be interested?

tmoerel

Suspended
Jan 24, 2008
Too bad Australians have to buy it for an extra $79 on the base model.
In the US, the iPads start from $499.

Actually i realised all of the Apple products in Australia are over-priced. (This might change when the Australian currency falls against the US dollar)

Not really. In Australia sales tax is already included in the price.

So add your local US sales tax first and then compare. Difference gets a lot smaller.

macingman

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jan 2, 2011
Not really. In Australia sales tax is already included in the price.

So add your local US sales tax first and then compare. Difference gets a lot smaller.

+1 Tax is included in our pricing.

BTW I posted this because i see alot of Americans which are shocked that iPad's are even sold in Australia so I wanted to put this app to educate uninformed people.

rav16

macrumors member
Feb 11, 2011

I played with the Acer tablet , and you showed a lot of respect by calling it rubbish I would say it's just atrocious infact it must not be even kept close to iPad 2 in display area it's just horrible.

Chazn

macrumors regular
Mar 25, 2011
Not to be an a**hole, stingy motherf***er or a thread hi-jacker....but without including the sales tax on both countries, the difference is still ~$100 more than the US.

(with no sales tax included)
iPad 2 Wifi+3G model (AU) = $662.73
iPad 2 Wifi+3G model (US) = $629.

Macbook Pro 15inch 2.2 quad-core i7 (AU) = $2271.39
Macbook Pro 15inch 2.2 quad-core i7 (US) = $2199.
I guess those who can afford these usually can neglect the $40-$70 difference anyway.
----
Wait until the Asus eee pad transformer comes out and the Samsung Galaxy tab 8.9 10.1s comes out in Oz. Unlike other Android tablets those 2 would be, imo, pretty good competitors to the iPad 2.

Last edited:

macingman

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jan 2, 2011
Not to be an a**hole, stingy motherf***er or a thread hi-jacker....but without including the sales tax on both countries, the difference is still ~$100 more than the US.

(with no sales tax included)
iPad 2 Wifi+3G model (AU) = $662.73
iPad 2 Wifi+3G model (US) = $629.

Macbook Pro 15inch 2.2 quad-core i7 (AU) = $2271.39
Macbook Pro 15inch 2.2 quad-core i7 (US) = $2199.
I guess those who can afford these usually can neglect the $40-$70 difference anyway.
----
Wait until the Asus eee pad transformer comes out and the Samsung Galaxy tab 8.9 10.1s comes out in Oz. Unlike other Android tablets those 2 would be, imo, pretty good competitors to the iPad 2.

Also factor in that the minimum wage in Australia is $19 an hour which is heaps more then in the states so it costs Apple more to have employees manage inventories, work in stores etc. Once you factor in all those costs the price is quite reasonable. Also if you are spending 600+ dollars 40-70 is really not quite significant to most people. Also Australians really don't care about the price difference, we just want Apple :apple:

And the Andrioid tablets cost the same if not more then the iPad.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.