iPad Camera Connection Experiment

Discussion in 'iPad Accessories' started by dborja, May 17, 2010.

1. dborja macrumors 6502a

I plan to try this tonight but I was wondering if someone has already done it: will the iPad talk to a camera through a USB hub? I don't know if the Apple Camera kit has the USB host electronics or whether the iPad has it built-in.

I need camera connectivity by next week and my Apple online order won't ship until two weeks later. The local stores haven't had them either and I refuse to pay the scalpers at Ama$on and e$ay $50+ :(

2. Dogpilot macrumors member

Afraid to say, your SOL. Tried both my D300 and D100 on a hub connected to the pad. Didn't see either one and it made no difference if the camera was in Mass Storage Mode or PIP Mode.

3. dborja thread starter macrumors 6502a

I suspected that although I'll still try it since I have a different hub. Thanks for sharing your results. BTW, may I ask if you went through the permutation of the connections through the host and client sides of the hub?

4. Dogpilot macrumors member

Clever thought, but then you have the B to B cable dilemma for the camera to use the host, or the A female to B male cable dilemma. I have a pile-o-cables but nothing to accomplish either end of what would be required without a cut and solder operation.

5. dborja thread starter macrumors 6502a

As Dogpilot reported, nogo as far as peers. I need a USB Female-to-Female adapter to try out the host side of the USB hub; I'll go hunting at Frys tomorrow...

6. dborja thread starter macrumors 6502a

Well, I found a gender changer and permuted the camera and iPad connections with my laptop USB hub. No joy. I even connected them directly...

It does need the camera connection kit. Luckily, I found one that is "only" $10 above MSRP and it's on its way...

7. shigzeo macrumors 6502a

shigzeo

Would be great if there was a tethered option for the Camera kit. I don't like a heavy thing hanging off of any 30-pin connnector - that is a recipe for hardware failure.