iPad Ipad Camera Connection Kit not working

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by dimpoly, Nov 2, 2014.

1. dimpoly macrumors newbie

Ipad Camera Connection Kit not working after ios 8.1
    any ideas ? any help or any tweak ?

2. 007p macrumors 6502a

What isn't working about it?

The storage needs to be in hfs(+) format to be mountable now. Exfat and fat32 will only work for photos.

3. dimpoly thread starter macrumors newbie

this is from now on ? from ios8 and later ?
    cause before that i use ios 7 i have no problem with fat32 format

4. guvner macrumors newbie

5. 007p macrumors 6502a

Correct, it would seem that as of iOS 8, FAT32 uses the same implementation that exFAT used in iOS 7. In otherwords, it is no longer mountable.

I highly doubt that not being able to mount FAT32 anymore is down to Pangu, it just seems top similar to how exFAT was in iOS 7.

People experiencing errors when plugging in the readers might well be, especially considering it doesn't give any errors when not jailbroken, and people have reported that it works even after the error.

6. dimpoly thread starter macrumors newbie

So what is the solution ? Not to jailbreak or to wait a cydia tweak ?

7. darricksailo macrumors 601

darricksailo

As stated previously, the storage device needs to be formatted to HFS to be mountable

8. dimpoly thread starter macrumors newbie

is it possible to format an sd card to HFS and load it with files in windows 8 ?

9. guvner macrumors newbie

Not out of the box.

10. dimpoly thread starter macrumors newbie

What do you mean?

11. guvner macrumors newbie

I mean, if you plug your HFS formatted drive in a windows pc, it will not recognize it. You have to manually install a special tool or a driver to use it.

12. dimpoly thread starter macrumors newbie

13. guvner macrumors newbie

14. Menel Suspended

Menel

I have no issue mounting the cards from my Garmin Virb or my Canon EOS.

Sort of recent Virb recently switched to exFat I think to support larger cards. I can't imagine these cameras would be formatting for HFS, as many users use them on Windows... and they work fine on my iPad Air, 8.1

15. dimpoly thread starter macrumors newbie

The thing is that previously in iOS 7 with jailbreak iPad air I have no problem mount sd cards with movies.
    Now the same iPad air jailbreak iOS 8.1 sd cards are not recognized.
    As previously told only HFS format is recognized by iOS 8.1

16. dimpoly thread starter macrumors newbie

not everybody have a mac, so lets hope special tool to work. otherwise we have to wait for a cydia tweak

17. 007p, Nov 3, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 3, 2014

007p macrumors 6502a

The iPad supports exFAT and FAT32 for its 'native' use. Which is to load the storage device and import the photos or movies (most likely from a camera).

Cameras don't have to be formated in HFS, it is only when you want to use the storage device for something other than what Apple intended. Loading the storage device in the photos app isn't what we are referring to as 'mounting'. By 'mounting' we mean loading in iFile (or any other app) to use as an actual storage device and not just importing items - which Apple obviously doesn't allow you to do on stock.

----------

IMHO there won't be a tweak. There have been VERY few 'tweaks' in this type of area. There also isn't much demand for it, with 128GB storage options available, wireless 'hard drives' and of course the cloud, people generally don't see a need for it anymore. Discussions like these for 'tweaks' in this area have been discussed a few times on reddit, they don't go well - people just don't see the point anymore :(

I say 'tweak' because I expect that something like this would require some sort of kernel patch/implementation, much like the power output issue of the iPad that was 'patchable' after 4.3, but no-one wanted to implement it.

And with that said, I would be much happier using HFS storage than installing a potentially unsafe/unstable patch on my iPad. You can easily format HFS using Linux, if you have a spare disk or pc, installing a free OS like ubuntu doesn't take long and has the ability to format HFS - instructions on how are easy to find on the web.