iPad "Camera Connection Kit" - Question

Discussion in 'iPad Accessories' started by lugesm, Aug 7, 2012.

1. lugesm macrumors 6502a

lugesm

Bought this little option at WalMart in the mistaken belief that it could connect USB-2 or SD memory devices to the iPad.

I think that I now understand it is ONLY for cameras, and it will not connect a USB-2 memory stick or a SD card . . . except when they are formatted by a digital camera. DUH
    Yeah, I know; I should have read the name more carefully, but I am now stuck with a useless device.

Can these connection devices do anything else useful ?
    Please lay off the wisecracks now. :rolleyes:

2. SnowLeopard2008 macrumors 604

SnowLeopard2008

If the USB flash drive has photos on it, the iPad will see them. Same goes for the SD card. If you jailbreak the iPad, I think there are jailbreak-only apps that might allow you to use it beyond it's intended purpose.

3. h1r0ll3r macrumors 68040

h1r0ll3r

This. For photographers this connection kit is a nice handy little tool. For the non-photog, it's pretty much useless for the most part. Unless, as mentioned, you jailbreak the iPad. As it's of no real use to you, you should probably just return it.

4. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

The USB one can connect headsets and some MIDI keyboards. It's not a supported feature though so your mileage may vary one what will work and what won't.

It does kinda give away what it does in the name though... ;)

I think it's great, use it all the time.