iPad Camera though Dock Connector

Discussion in 'iPad' started by spottynatty, Sep 1, 2010.

1. spottynatty macrumors newbie

Hi all,
    Just wondering if it would be possible to create a camera that connects through the dock connector?
    With the new iPod Nano loosing the video camera maybe it isn't that far off that Apple would release a camera that fits the iPad and Nano?

Cheers

Appologies for thread title spelling. I kan reed and ryt - onist.

2. Piggie macrumors 604

Piggie

For Apple yes of course.

However, all this smacks of about 10 years ago when the mobile phone companies offered little plug in camera's that plugged into the bottom of your phone.

All this (and memory card readers) needs to be built in, not on little plastic docks that you have to carry around with you.

Then, they had an excuse, today there is none really.

Let's just hope that this is all sorted in later models.

3. spottynatty thread starter macrumors newbie

Apple does have a good habbit for creating those little extras though:p
    Just a thought really.
    Looking at picking up an iPad this weekend and while no camera (for Video chat) isn't a deal breaker, I havent once used my MacBooks iSight for chat, it might be nice to be able to plug in.
    Also that the nano is now without a camera, kill 2 birds with one stone.

4. Dragonfly47 macrumors member

Dragonfly47

5. andiwm2003 macrumors 601

andiwm2003

6. poloponies macrumors 68030

Do people over 25 (other than those in commercials) really do this with any regularity? I somehow haven't been aching for video calling and the few times I've done it I was wondering why I wasn't just surfing instead. I hate phone calls as it is without having to appear attentive to someone on the other end.

7. Rowbear macrumors 6502a

Rowbear

Nice Photoshop work kdesign7. You did this yourself ? Try putting the camera in the center as it should be aligned with the home button :)

8. tekchic macrumors 65816

tekchic

No. Frankly I hate the way I look on Facetime when chatting the hubby on our iPhone 4's. That VGA front-facing camera is *so* unflattering. And I have never used the iSight camera on my MBP either.

I hate to age myself (hey, I'm GenX) but this must be something "the younger generation" wants. I frankly could care less if the iPad never gets a camera - front or back. While I adore my 5MP camera on the iPhone 4, I just don't need it on an iPad that I use to consume media and write/draw/take notes with).

9. poloponies macrumors 68030

The day video calling becomes the standard in the workplace is the day I quit. If I can't roll my eyes or make obscene gestures at people while I'm on the phone with them then there's really nothing left for me.

10. abta1 macrumors 6502

Precisely why video calling didn't catch on in previous attempts. Especially in work places, bar video conferencing.

However, what face time gives the user is the option to make video calls should they want to.

11. poloponies macrumors 68030

I certainly get that, but it just doesn't seem to be a huge deal-maker/breaker when you really think about it.

12. kdesign7 macrumors 6502a

Thanks! and ya, I did it myself awhile ago. Actually.. a day after Apple mentioned the iPad... :)

And ya... it should be aligned for sure... :) and the SIZE is totally wrong.. but ya.. It was just something I put together quickly!

Thanks for the compliments mate!!

13. iThinman macrumors regular

I have no interest in video conferencing or chat, so personally, the combination of an EyeFi enabled camera plus ShutterSnitch fill the camera gap much better for me than a built in or dock connected camera ever could.

If i need convienence, I can simply take the photo with my phone.

14. lokerd macrumors 6502a

lokerd

I'd buy a camera dongle

Not for facetime or whatever. I don't like talking on the phone let alone video. LOL to the comment about rolling eyes, etc. That was freaking funny! And I concur!

But I would really like it for imaging business card, bar codes, snapshot of people, even the occasional real photo. I don't always have my high end gear, and although the idea of holding up an iPad to take a photo is a little awkward, I would still like the option.

And unfortunately, I am stuck with sprint and my Palm Centro until it dies...because I just can't beat the legacy smart phone rate plan I am on. So, no iphone for me any time soon, and my currsnt phone is only 1.3mp and it sucks.

But I gotta say, some of the iPhone camera apps are really sweet, like prohdr. Ihave used the cck to transfer 7 braced pictures from my real camera, to the iPad, and then used the iPhone app to pick two and merge together and it does almost as good as using phtomatix, commercial hdr software, to process the image.