iPad camera

Discussion in 'iPad' started by mmmtastybusch, Jan 27, 2012.

1. mmmtastybusch macrumors regular

I was surprised at how bad the picture quality on iPad 2 is, I mean I know it's a tablet so I shouldn't expect gold, but shouldn't they have went higher than 0.7 MP? Anyone know why they opted for such a low-grade camera? I'm sure it can't cost much more to get a decent resolution one..

EDIT: I'm not trolling, so please keep the flaming to a minimum, I'm just genuinely curious as to why they did it, and didn't know if anyone knows the reason :)

2. wrinkster22 macrumors 68030

wrinkster22

The iPod touch has the same POS camera as the iPad so I know where you are coming from.
    Probably because the iPad is so thin that that was the only one they could have fit in (as of march 2011)
    also cost, that was probably cheaper
    and initially the camera was meant to video call with, not take pictures.
    The recording is pretty good though :)

3. mmmtastybusch thread starter macrumors regular

Ahh that makes sense. I imagine the iPad 3 will have a somewhat improved one, but I'm not too concerned about it. I don't usually walk around holding up my tablet taking pictures lol I just thought it was interesting. But yes, weird that the video quality isn't too bad at all!

4. porcupine8 macrumors 6502a

The cameras are definitely meant for video (especially video chat), not still photos. The iPad is pretty awkward to take pictures with, so it wasn't a priority.

I do wish the cameras were a bit better, and I'm guessing in future versions they will be, but I can understand why they prioritized it the way they did.

5. macbookman83 macrumors 6502

With the iPad and iPhone, Apple tends to recycle certain aspects of either device when releasing a new product. Since the 4s had no new camera, it's safe to assume that whatever the new iPad is will have an HD facetime camera as well as the iPhone 5/6.

6. spiderman0616 macrumors 68030

spiderman0616

The iPhone 4S had no new camera? It has an 8 MP camera vs. the iPhone 4's 5 MP camera and also has MUCH improved still quality over the 4.

7. wrinkster22 macrumors 68030

wrinkster22

I thought the same thing too- I figured he meant the from facing camera and next revision will have an HD (like the macbook pro or iMac) webcam

8. Blakjack macrumors 68000

Blakjack

Im almost sure the rear camera on the iPad is primarily for video chat purposes. When in video chat, flipping the camera around to show things is easier with the rear camera like with iphone.

They probably will upgrade the camera for iPad 3, but I dont expect anything major. Most people with tablets have smart phones and use those for taking pictures. And if you have an iPhone using icloud just obliviates the need for a respectable camera on the iPad.

9. psonice macrumors 6502a

The camera quality is poor for video too really. The lens is too small and the sensor isn't sensitive enough, the result is seriously grainy images in low light (and it doesn't have to be low at all!). It's great in sunlight though, so if you do most of your video chat there you're ok.

The most annoying thing about them for me though: it downsizes photos! The rear camera is 1280x720. It records video at 1280x720. Photos? 960x720! You lose 33% of the pixels!

Btw, if you're using it to take photos or record video, i wrote a camera app specifically to improve the image quality on the iPad 2 called 'camera boost'. It has a night mode that works wonders for indoor photos, noise reduction for photos + video, and yes full res photos. Plus lots of adjustable filters, lighting adjustment and so on. It can't fix the low resolution but it improves more or less everything else.

10. Hello... macrumors 6502a

Hello...

Mine is not bad at all I use it daily to list items on EBay.
    Love to have a macro setting for the ipad3.

11. gadget123 macrumors 68000

I would not worry because the Ipad 3 will probably go to a 2MP hopefully better Facetime cameras too.

Must admit I took a few shots at first with my Ipad camera but never use it as a camera as it's too big.

12. NZed macrumors 65816

NZed

Where the eff have you been????

[​IMG]

13. MrXiro macrumors 68040

MrXiro

I'm assuming you're talking about the facetime camera... but that one really does not need to be updated... unless you're an emo teen that takes self portraits all day I guess...

If you're referring to the rear camera then you really need to look up the features of a 4S.

14. jmpnop macrumors 6502a

jmpnop

Thats the Apple's strategy, provide crippled features in the beginning, upgrade it in the coming revisions call it 'revolutionary'

Ex: No camera in iPad 1 -> Crap camera in iPad 2 -> Descent camera in iPad 3
    256MB RAM in iPad 1 -> 512MB RAM in iPad 2 -> 1GB RAM in iPad 3

iPad which has more pixels and information to process had half the RAM than iPhone 4. It just shows that Apple intentionally does it so people upgrade every year. Anybody who gives reasons like price, etc are just defending Apple's moves. It costs $330 to manufacture an iPad 2 32GB WiFi+3G which retails at $729, I'm sure the small price difference won't affect the profits much.