Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rorschach

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jul 27, 2003
Per the Dev Center:

screenshot20100127at305.png

File-Sharing Support
Applications that want to share files with the user can now do so using the file-sharing support in iPhone OS 3.2. Here’s how it works:

• An application indicates that it wants to share files by including the UIFileSharingEnabled key in its Info.plist file.
  • It puts whatever files it wants to share in its Documents/Shared directory.
  • When the device is plugged into the user’s computer, a mount point is added to the system and the contents of any shared directories appear on the user’s desktop.
  • Users can modify the contents of this directory freely by copying files out, deleting files, or dragging new files in.

rorschach

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jul 27, 2003
I beg of developers - use this to separate app data from the actual app if you can.... :D

I'm pretty sure what it means is that the developer has to support it, but if they do they can let you drag and drop files directly from your computer and they'll show up in the app. Like, if Stanza did it you'll be able to drag PDFs onto the iPad on the desktop and they'll appear in the app.

TraceyS/FL

macrumors 601
Jan 11, 2007
North Central Florida
I'm pretty sure what it means is that the developer has to support it, but if they do they can let you drag and drop files directly from your computer and they'll show up in the app. Like, if Stanza did it you'll be able to drag PDFs onto the iPad on the desktop and they'll appear in the app.

I"m thinking - please have scores for games be portable between devices so i don't have to listen to my kids complain about having to start over on their Peggle levels :D

But overall, I much prefer the portable PDB type of file the palm had.

I need to restore my Touch - but i have one app that doesn't have a way to restore. Because it has some historical data i need for doctors, i'm not keen. But if i could just drop that data back in easily - i'd be restored.

And never mind all the cyberduck and other sharing stuff i'm doing for OTHER apps!

The Man

macrumors 6502a
Jul 7, 2004
Hope this functionality will be carried over to iPhone and iPod touch. It's such a drag right now to carry over documents from those devices to your computer and vice versa. And developers constantly have to implement their own way of doing it via wifi. So come on, please give us iPhone OS 3.2.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.