iPad iPad. Can't return once replaced?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by GuywithMacs, Nov 22, 2014.

1. GuywithMacs macrumors newbie

So I got an iPad Air 2 16gb. Just like many of you I got that screen problem (black line on left). I went to Apple Store to replace it. The genius bar laughed and said yeah all the previous people had the same problem. He replaced it.
    I found out that I really needed a 64gb instead. So I went to the store again and try to return it and buy the 64. Here's where the problem is. They said NO WAY. They said once it's been replaced it can't be returned. Huh? I said its not really my fault that mine came defective. They still said they can't do it.

Anyone experienced this?

2. Closingracer macrumors 68020

Was it a new replacement ? The guy at the Apple Store told me he could replace it at the Genius Bar but I couldn't return it . Only if I got it exchanged which I did . I could of returned it if I wanted to.

Which credit card did you buy it with ? Some let you return even if Apple says no

3. GuywithMacs thread starter macrumors newbie

The replacement didn't come form a new white box, but a brown one.

4. Closingracer macrumors 68020

iPad. Can't return once replaced?

That's why. You got it replaced not exchanged .

If you want it just sell it and buy it new . Lose about $150? Including tax and buying th 64gb model

5. GuywithMacs thread starter macrumors newbie

Wow I just got screwed. Is there even a difference? =(

6. myrtlebee macrumors 68020

myrtlebee

Never exchange (or replace or whatever you want to call what you did). Always return and rebuy if you're in the return window.

7. KevinC867 macrumors 6502a

When I have had problems with new Apple products, the Apple Store has always taken back the old unit and "sold" me a new one at zero net cost. (With a new receipt and all.)

Once they even did that for me with a one day old MacBook pro that I bought from a different retailer. (It had a bad DVD drive.)

They just did it for me again with an iPad Air 2 which would not power-on after one day of use.

8. Millionaire2K macrumors 6502a

If your original problem was still in your 14 day purchase window they should have exchanged your original order for a NEW retail boxed sealed ipad. With this method you can then return the new ipad up to 14 days from the exchange.

If you were past 14 days they should exchange with a brown box ipad. Your return window does not change and you can only exchange for the same ipad if defective.

If you were within 14days when you made the 1st exchange then Apple should have given you a new sealed ipad and extended your return date. Speak to a manager if they do not honor your original purchase 14 day return window.

NOTE: I've exchanged 2 ipad a2 this year due to defects. Both times I got a new retail unit in a new box. Since it was processed as a return/purchase/exchange it extended my return window 14 days from each exchange. As if I returned the defective and just bought a new ipad with the cost of the returned ipad.

9. GuywithMacs thread starter macrumors newbie

I went to the genius bar 4 days after receiving it in the mail. They did give me a brown box and not a new retail box. No new receipts, no extended returns.

I don't know why they didn't just process all 14 day warrant work as return/new sales. Because I wasn't told that I couldn't do a return after a replacement.

Also, the QCs people need to be fired. They can't do their jobs.

10. rgarjr macrumors 603

rgarjr

it does sound like you got screwed by the genius. Go back to the store and speak to the manager about this.

When you took your original iPad to the store to get it replaced/exchanged you should have not have dealt with a genius.

11. braddick macrumors 68040

braddick

It appears they are doing exactly their jobs, although admittedly, not in your favor yet rather instead, Apple's.

12. GuywithMacs thread starter macrumors newbie

So their job is to overlook screen defects. I just noticed my replacement is also suffering from the same thing.

13. b3av3r macrumors regular

b3av3r

Do you still have your original receipt and dated paperwork showing when you brought the iPad in for a replacement? That should clearly prove that you were within the 14 day period and assuming you are still within the new 14 day period they should honor the return.

Of course, sounds like you have to waste another trip and more time to get it all straightened out, but at least you will have what you want.

14. mreg376 macrumors 6502a

You should never do anything to a device, such as warranty repair or replacement, that's still within its return period other than return it, or keep it. You can only return a device if it's the same device and is in the same condition as you purchased it.

15. Millionaire2K macrumors 6502a

Yeah that's the problem. You should have walked in without an appointment and said "I want to return this for another" You would have been taken to a return guy. He would have then gave you a new ipad paid by the credit of the returned.

16. MartinAppleGuy macrumors 68020

MartinAppleGuy

Well take it in again, say it is having the issues and tell them that you want the upgrade to a 64GB (as that may not have the screen issues). If you say that, as well as you are happy to spend 80 pounds on the upgrade to a 64GB, I think you may be fine. If not, ask for a manager or call someone when you get home.

Just say you are not impressed at this low level of quality on such a high end device (without being mean), as they probably won't want to annoy you any more.

17. 617aircav Suspended

Did your take it back with the intention to return and buy another one? Did you take the whole box and package with you?

18. mpayne2k macrumors 6502a

mpayne2k

Just curious...aren't we now in the extended returns period due to the holidays? I'd say you should be within your rights to return a product, especially if you had a defect, not an at fault exchange.

19. 617aircav Suspended

It was within his right, except he didn't return, he went in for a genius appointment and got a warranty replacement. Once he did this he could no longer do a return. He should have gone in with the iPad and box with receipt and told them he wants to return the item.

20. bushido Suspended

bushido

The problem is that he said there is a problem with the screen so they replaced it instead of simply saying he wants to return it including the packaging etc

21. PinkyMacGodess macrumors 68040

PinkyMacGodess

From a negotiation standpoint, that's not going to win you anything...

And it depends on who you get. I had a problem with a MacBook, and went in to try to get it resolved, and the Genius said that I hadn't had it that long, and he said 'I can swap it, or you can return it. Your choice'. I asked what the difference was, and before he got done speaking I had said 'return'. I then walked out with a new sealed MacBook on the spot.

Perhaps you should have gone in and said 'This is defective, I want to exchange it for another new one, oh, and by the way, I'd like the next larger capacity too', and they would have had to either say no and give you a reason, or complied and accepted your defective unit as a return, and used the credit on a new one.

Always approach a negotiation wanting the best case because you might get it.