All iPads ipad capabilities

Discussion in 'iPad' started by tomaquar, Nov 20, 2014.

1. tomaquar macrumors newbie

My MBP died and I need to replace my laptop. I cant afford a good system now but should be able to in the spring. My best laid plan was to buy an ipad for $400 now, use it as an interim device and then upgrade later. Ive been meaning to buy a tablet of some sort so if this is possible that would be great.

At this point Im not married to Mac. Currently everything I have is Mac but I am open to change.

What I would like right now is a tablet to run iTunes, browse the web, accept data from an external hard drive and word process. Maybe the occasional power point but would understand if it was slow. Being able to attach an external optical drive would also be nice. I believe MS 8.1 can achieve this. Is this correct ? If an ipad will do this job I would like that but I do not have the technical skill/patience to break Mac blocks. I understand the new Mac OS will only allow you to load data from a camera through a USB adapter. Is that correct ?

I have the intact hard drive from my previous MacBook. I would like to slave it to another system at some point but I back it up from time to time on the external so that can wait.

In the spring I plan to get a MacBook air or a Surface 3.

How much of my plan is reasonable and what should be altered ?

Thanks for the input of everyone.

2. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

The only issue you'll have is accessing that hdd. There are work arounds but if you can get your important data into Dropbox for example then an iPad would be perfect for your basic needs.

3. tomaquar thread starter macrumors newbie

Can I load my copy of Windows for Mac if I connect with a external optic drive ?

4. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

Not on an iPad or android tablet for that matter

5. JoEw macrumors 65816

JoEw

Build yourself a pc for 400 with a copy of windows 8.1, this will serve your needs.

6. ron7624 Contributor

ron7624

I. bought an Omni 10, windows 8.1 tablet. Because I wanted to keep up. I use Win 7 at work.
    Although it's a tablet, it is almost useless to me as one. it does everything it should but with only 2gb of ram it is crippled. I use an external hard drive through a 'powered' usb hub and it all works. Photoshop 7 loaded fine and it works but it strains. I cannot recommend a Win 8 tablet as a tablet, as it needs to be connected to bt devices to be useful. Wifi only keeps it home as well. Gestures for navigation are slow to respond and I find the on screen keyboard hard to use. I use it infrequently as a desktop only now, just to keep the battery cycled. I bought a stand at the Apple Store because it's ports are at the bottom center so it's got to be lifted 2 inches at all times to be connected to anything or charge. It was under your 400 dollar mark but I don't recommend it. I'm using it with an an Apple keyboard, bt speakers and a bt mouse. The needed accessories cost as much as the tablet, oh yea, stability... its not. Buy the warranty. Mine's been replaced. Twice.
    This raving review typed on a cellular iPad mini 2.