Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tejaykay

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 22, 2008
Edinburgh
Hi All,

I'm going out to buy my first iPad (I always wait for the 3rd gen). I'm trying to choose the right capacity for me and thought that the best people to listen to would be people that manage their iPhone similar to me. Make sense?

I am regularly at capacity on my 32GB iPhone. When using an iPad are you prone to needing less space (due to much less photo taking, etc), thus will 32GB fine? If not I'll stump up for the 64GB.

Cheers for any feedback.

Macman45

macrumors G5
Jul 29, 2011
Somewhere Back In The Long Ago
Without knowing what you have stored on your phone it's impossible to help really...If you have a large music library and are planning on playing games on your iPad, I'd say go top end. But without more info. it's a guessing game.

KeithJenner

macrumors 65816
Sep 30, 2010
As MacMan says, we can't tell without knowing your usage, but it does principally depend on a few things.

Are you going to be doing a lot of video recording? For most people I suspect the answer to that on the iPad is no, especially if they have an iPhone.

How much video and music are you likely to want to carry around. Test this by imagining you will be going away for a while and create a playlist in iTunes of what you would be likely to take and see how much space it takes.

What Apps are you likely to want. Unless you are a big game player or would want a lot of textbooks then this is not likely to be huge, but iTunes states the size of Apps, so you can get a bit of an idea before buying as to how much you will need. Also consider whether you will want to always have them all (i.e. would you complete a game and then delete it or do you always want to go back to it).

Then add a bit.

I would recommend that you base your decision on the maximum that you are likely to want. I currently have a 32gb iPad and I rarely go over half that capacity. However, if I go away then I like to take quite a choice of video with me, and the capacity becomes an issue. I'm therefore getting a 64gb this time purely for those few times.

tejaykay

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 22, 2008
Edinburgh
Hi guys, thanks for your responses.

I don't intend on storing much music on the iPad as I have iTunes Match. Most of the space taken on my iPhone is music and photos.

I think I've decided to go with the 32GB wifi option.

Thanks again

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2012-03-10 at 10.38.30.png
    Screen Shot 2012-03-10 at 10.38.30.png
    22.4 KB · Views: 72

Chaos123x

macrumors 68000
Jul 8, 2008
Twice the capacity of your iPhone would be a good rule of thumb.

have ton of crap on my 16gb iPhone with room to spare, but on my old 16gb iPad it was filled just with a few apps.

Jarson

macrumors regular
Feb 18, 2011
Glasgow
Hi All,

I'm going out to buy my first iPad (I always wait for the 3rd gen). I'm trying to choose the right capacity for me and thought that the best people to listen to would be people that manage their iPhone similar to me. Make sense?

I am regularly at capacity on my 32GB iPhone. When using an iPad are you prone to needing less space (due to much less photo taking, etc), thus will 32GB fine? If not I'll stump up for the 64GB.

Cheers for any feedback.

In my opinion you shouldn't suggest your iPhone space usage when choosing right capacity of an iPad. See, these two devices have different purposes so you probably won't store as many music as on the iPhone and be more focused on videos and apps, which take definitely more space (especially with new Retina display).

So what I can advice you is to go with 32gb iPad. Or if you really need so, go with 64.

Mr.C

macrumors 603
Apr 3, 2011
London, UK.
In my opinion it's not a good idea to compare the two devices when it comes to storage capacity. They are two different devices and usage typically varies between them. Also bear in mind that iPad specific apps tend to be bigger in size too. You can't upgrade the memory so you're stuck with whatever you get. My advice would be to strongly consider the 64GB if it's within your budget. I went from a 32GB iPad 1 to a 64GB iPad 2 as I was running out of space.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.