Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Pkupman57

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 18, 2013
El Lay, CA
Im working on finding a way to keep the iPad charged. I have USB on my deck, but it won't charge at all (will charge and accept audio from my iPhone via USB, but won't charge the iPad)... And I have a couple of USB chargers, including the one I installed in the dash myself, it shows that its charging, but i suspect its like an iPhone charger. While using the iPad for audio/Nav, it will still drain the battery, even though its showing green for charging, it just discharges much slower than if it wasn't plugged in at all.

I wish I could just plug it into the deck via USB like the phone, but I can get over that. I just would like to find a way to keep it charged, without having to wire up a power inverter, to plug in the stock apple wall brick charger, (seems inefficient, to go from DC, to AC, back to DC again, and not great for the components involved)

AZhappyjack

macrumors G3
Jul 3, 2011
Happy Jack, AZ
Im working on finding a way to keep the iPad charged. I have USB on my deck, but it won't charge at all (will charge and accept audio from my iPhone via USB, but won't charge the iPad)... And I have a couple of USB chargers, including the one I installed in the dash myself, it shows that its charging, but i suspect its like an iPhone charger. While using the iPad for audio/Nav, it will still drain the battery, even though its showing green for charging, it just discharges much slower than if it wasn't plugged in at all.

I wish I could just plug it into the deck via USB like the phone, but I can get over that. I just would like to find a way to keep it charged, without having to wire up a power inverter, to plug in the stock apple wall brick charger, (seems inefficient, to go from DC, to AC, back to DC again, and not great for the components involved)

Just pick up an MFi charger for your lighter plug. Just make sure it puts out 2 or 2.1 amps.

Pkupman57

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 18, 2013
El Lay, CA
I have a Monster cable brand adapter like that, as well as a Powerwerx USB plug in the dash I installed myself. Both claim to be 2.1amps. But, all they will do is slow the discharge rate of my iPad (air if that matters), but won't charge it while in use.. Both will charge fine if Im not using the iPad, and have it locked/covered.

If I have my iPad plugged into my computer directly, or into the wall, i can use it fine, and have it charge at the same time. I don't understand why it won't charge in the truck.:confused:

estoydadude

macrumors newbie
Oct 10, 2012
I use a battery pack, which can be used to charge other devices as well...

I always wonder if the Car charger would have enough voltage to charge the iPad within a short period of time, since I don't spend too much time in the car everyday.

allisonfranz

macrumors member
Jul 8, 2014
Boston
I use Avantek dual port car charger I picked up at Amazon. Works great on my iPad. Each port alone is able supply a current of up to 2.1A, which is enough to charge the iPad or Android phones.

Trebuin

macrumors 65816
Jun 3, 2008
Central Cali
I'm testing a new one from new trent that will definitely charge an iPad. I'll have the results shortly. It looks very nice for one thing, but it is not flush. It is not one of the poor designs that says it supplies 2.1 amps and it turns out that each port supplies 1.05 amps for a total of 2.1 amps...I've seen some of that happening on a lot of multiple usb port chargers.

inchina

macrumors newbie
Nov 2, 2014

It seems both the built-in USB port and the one you installed have low output current value. Well, 2A/5V charger can charge an iPad quite fast, but as there is loss throught the cable, 2.4A would be perfect.

Try Axgio PowerSlot L5U, which comes with a car-borne plug and 5 USB ports which can work at the same time. One of the ports has an independant output current of 2.4A, and each of the other two pairs share a 2.4A, respectively. It can charge 3 iPads very fast, or 1 iPad and 4 iPhones. You may not need all of them all the time, but sometimes you may have some friends on your car.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.