iPad case: Grip/Shell vs. Folio/Stand? Debate

Discussion in 'iPad Accessories' started by roland.g, Apr 20, 2010.

?

Which kind of case would you/did you get?

1. Rubber/Silicone Grip or Hard Shell snap-on case

20 vote(s)
    37.0%
  2. Folio flip-open covered typing/video stand case

34 vote(s)
    63.0%
  1. roland.g macrumors 603

roland.g

I will be putting a BSE - Bestskinsever on the iPad for scratch protection. But with a 2 1/2 year old and a wife who may also be using it, for typing in my lap, and for using it on a plane for movies, I was hoping to get some feedback on whether most people were going with a Silicone Grip/Hard Shell snap-on-case or opting for the functionality and front coverage of a folio flip-open/viewing and typing stand type case.

Cases that stood out so far (if anyone has one and wants to comment). I realize that some of these products are not available yet. Just wanted thoughts on the stuff that is out, what people have ordered and why. I apologize as I know there are probably more threads on this than needed and individual reviews of cases, but vote for the style you like and explain why you went with a particular case. Thanks.

Incipio duroSHOT
    Incipio dermaSHOT
    Incipio Feather
    Macally Metrolpad

Incase Convertible
    Macally Bookstand
    Marware Eco-Flip
    Marware Eco-Vue
    Quirky Cloak
    The Apple Case

2. srl7741 macrumors 68020

srl7741

I think unlike with the iPhone the iPad may require more than one style of cover/case for it. I don't think one case is going to do it all.

I'm still in the experiment phase with two different cases. Im using the Apple Case a bit and also trying out the Griffin Elan Passport.

I don't think ether one of these will be what I end up with. I like them both for different reasons but neither really does it all for my uses.
    I have a feeling I'm going to spend a small fortune before I find the one for me.

Edited* Added links (sorry)

3. roland.g thread starter macrumors 603

roland.g

Which two cases are you using?

I would choose any of the folios I listed over the Griffin b/c it doesn't seem to offer a video/typing stand feature. I agree that there may be a need for a regular hardshell or grip case as well as a folio case for trips.

4. eTip macrumors 6502

I choose: None of the above. I am waiting/looking for a case or skin that covers the sides/edges and the bezel but without adding much bulk (not a folio type case).

I want the sides/edges covered because I think that is what is most likely to get damaged. I have dropped my 2g Phone countless times but the only visible damage is on the edges. The reason I want the bezel covered is not so much for protection as for comfort, feel and improved grip. I know there are silicone etc. cases that appear to do what I am asking but reviews seem to be mixed at best and I am concerned about the case "slipping" against the bezel.

5. Zepaw macrumors 65816

Zepaw

I understand two case argument, but I do not want to bother switching or paying for two. I like having the Belkin Grip Vue, which is just a normal iPhone-esqu case. I like the idea of a stand case, but I don't want to make it feel like I case I like holding an iPad. I could see getting one and using it more when I go somewhere. Feels kinda odd carrying an exposed iPad around.

6. jedolley macrumors 68000

Normally i'm a skin/shell guy, but the iPad is unlike any device i've had before. The multifunction type cases (Apple, Marware, and soon to be Macally) have been incredibly useful. I probably do most of my browsing with the flap folded back, but often I will switch it to typing mode (like right now) or landscape so I can watch a show or podcast. A skin shell just would not work for me, I would either have to hold it all the time or keep some sort of dock/stand handy.

I say multifunction case for a multifunction device. :D

7. bigrobb macrumors 6502a

has anyone tried the griffin flexgrip. I went to a place here called mac authority to try and find a case and I saw that, but I decided to wait. I read a bad review on a case like that and I couldn't remember if it was this one or not and now I can't find the review I read for the life of me.

8. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

For me it'd be a folio style. I just want something it will be in all of the time as well as something that will allow me to prop it up and watch a movie or whatever the case is or sit at a comfortable angle on my lap.

9. Rob587 macrumors 6502a

Rob587

Anymore comments on the pholio vs skin debate? I trying to decide between the two... :confused:

10. dbagchee macrumors member

I went for the Belkin Grip Vue (getting it delivered today). I hold the iPad the majority of the time, even while watching video and prefer just propping it up on my legs when I need to type.

11. Mjmar macrumors 65816

I don't know about all of you, but tha apple case is a big win for me. I went to the apple store and closely considered all my choices and the apple case won. It's thin yet strong, and protects every part of the iPad. I don't mind taking my iPad out of the house with this case on. Also, the way it folds makes the iPad much more usable. Before I had the case I found myself getting uncomfortable after a long time of usage, but the case has eliminated that feeling.

12. roland.g thread starter macrumors 603

roland.g

I may end up getting two. I would go for the Incipio Feather for home use because it is thin enough to use the Apple Dock.

But for taking on trips or for prolonged sessions of typing on the couch I may want to pop the Feather off and slip it into a folio. Looks like The Apple Case, The Quirky Cloak and the Macally are the leading contenders for me there though all the folios I linked maybe very close.

13. Rob587 macrumors 6502a

Rob587

I dont think the quirky is a contender. It doesnt have a typing angle like the apple pholio does.

14. srl7741 macrumors 68020

srl7741

Griffin Cases

I just received two Griffin Cases today (see post #2) and the Griffin Flex Grip.
    The Flex Grip is soft and flexible and fits pretty good. It's a little to flexible where you can easily slide it on and off. It does fit good and feels great when using it. I wish it was just a little more snug or maybe a little less flexible. It's nice and no complaints from it even tho I won't be using it.

The Folio is also nice and fits well around the iPad but it's not what I thought it would be and i won't be using it either. I don't care for the small flap that is always in the way no matter how you use the iPad. Again it's a nice case and works great it's just not what I am looking for.

I kind of knew I would end up trying out several before being able to narrow down the style I like best. For now I'm going to keep using the Apple case.
    It seems to offer the thinnest, lightest and most versatile positions.

I know the Apple case is not what I want but for now it's the closest one I've tried.

15. JtheLemur macrumors 6502

Don't consider the Quirky Cloak until Quirky updates already-paying customers with information. If it ever ships and it's all that the data thus far has indicated, it should be awesome. Until then, it's vaporware.

Quite unfortunate too, as it's the only case that's caught my eye.

Peep the comments thread for deets…

http://www.quirky.com/products/30-Cloak

16. jeffy777 macrumors 6502

17. err404 macrumors 68020

I expected the first batch of cases to be underwhelming, and everything I've seen so far is just that. I decided to get the Apple case to hold me over until better ones hit the market.
    After 2 weeks, I'm finding that I really like the Apple case. The material feels great once it has broken in. The only complaint that I have is the seem.
    Give me a clone of the Apple case design and materials, but with a re-designed seem and I'll be happy.

18. sadsack macrumors member

Cases and typing angle

hey all,

they typing angle is going to determine the type of case for me. Although, i like the apple case for this angle adjustment and typing - the ipad is thin and sleek and should be left in just a sleeve. How are you finding it typing on it flat or without a case?

thanks