iPad iPad cellular at&t ?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Che Castro, May 24, 2015.

1. Che Castro macrumors 603

I'm getting an iPad Air 2 cellular , I have at&t mobile share family plan 25gb a month
    Can I add my iPad to my at&t plan and use the 25gb without paying any extra money ?

I won't be using the cellular much only on rare occasions comcast internet goes down or if I take my iPad on a trip
    Or can I also just swap the sim from my iPhone 6 into my iPad ? Back & forth without any problems , I would prefer not to do this but if my first option is not free I'll go with the second

2. Closingracer macrumors 68000

3. Che Castro thread starter macrumors 603

4. Closingracer macrumors 68000

It's only $10 a month......

5. Badrottie Suspended

Badrottie

Yeah that sucks...no other option? :apple:

6. Che Castro thread starter macrumors 603

is the second option going to work? swapping sim cards between iphone and ipad
    without any hassle

7. rhinosrcool macrumors 65816

rhinosrcool

With the mobile share plan, you get the free Hotspot feature. Unless you need a connection when you don't have your phone, there's no need to get a cellular model. For me, it works great.

8. EDH667 macrumors 6502a

EDH667

AT&T will give you a $100 bill credit for a two year commitment of your iPad. So it comes out to $5.83 a month.

http://www.att.com/shop/wireless/byop.html

9. Schism213 macrumors member

Sounds like you'd be ok with a T-Mobile sim and signing up for the free 200 MB a month. That is of course if you are in a coverage area and able to use it.

10. Che Castro, May 24, 2015
    Last edited: May 24, 2015

Che Castro thread starter macrumors 603

It was a GameStop deal for a used iPad Air 2 cellular 64gb $439

I wasn't looking for cellular , it was the only one available for the 64gb

And I know about hotspot on my iPhone but that drains the battery

11. Che Castro thread starter macrumors 603

So 200mb free no contract or hidden fees ?

12. BarryL macrumors 6502

Not one, it's $10 for the SIM card.

I've got one, the swap out my Verizon SIM when I really want to use data.

13. ron7624 Contributor

ron7624

No hidden fees, and is free to use. The sim costs 10 dollars, but ive seen promotions where it was free also, but not lately. I used that sim for a while on my Air because it never left the house.

14. EDH667 macrumors 6502a

EDH667

15. JackieInCo macrumors 601

T-Mobile has the SIM card for $.99 right now on their site.

16. Che Castro thread starter macrumors 603

when i go there i says its free with a code, but it doesn't show the 200mb plan , only the 1gb and up

do i just select that ?

nobody has answered my question about swapping iPhone sim to the iPad air 2 on at&t without any problems

17. zorinlynx macrumors 601

zorinlynx

If you use your iPad on cellular ALL THE TIME, the $10 a month is worth it.

Remember, tethering your phone uses the phone's battery. When you use cellular on the iPad directly, you're only using the iPad's much larger battery. You can sit there online with your iPad for two hours and your phone will still be at 100%.

Also, you can use your iPad as a mobile hotspot, again without draining your phone's battery. So if you travel a lot with your laptop and iPad, it can be useful as well.

However, if you only occasionally use your iPad away from Wifi, it's not worth it. You may find it better to just tether for those times. I'm actually on the fence about removing my iPad Air from my plan because I rarely use it on cellular these days and the $10 a month for something I rarely use adds up.

----------

This will work fine. I did it as a test to see if it would work and it did. However:

1) Swapping SIM cards is a pain. You need the SIM removal tool, and the parts are tiny and can get lost.
    2) You will miss any calls or SMS messages sent to your phone number while the SIM is in the iPad.

18. JackieInCo macrumors 601

Just order the sim card. Once you get it, put it in the iPad and go to settings, cellular data, view account. Sign up for a new account and then you can select only the 200Mb free plan.

19. duaneu macrumors 6502a

You don't need to buy a SIM card the iPad will come with one. Just activate it right on the device.

20. Che Castro thread starter macrumors 603

I read somewhere you can call apple and have them do a diagnosis on your iPad to make sure is working right

How is that done over the phone or chat ?