iPad Charger Cord

Discussion in 'iOS 7' started by warburg2, Apr 8, 2014.

1. warburg2 macrumors newbie

My wife and I recently bought new iPads, but we mixed up the charger connector cords and transformers with those of our old iPads. I have noticed that my new iPad takes hours to recharge. We both also have iPhone 5. Although we are using the large transformers for charging the iPads we are using the charger cords interchangeably with those used by the iPhone and our older iPads. Does this matter?:confused:

2. cynics macrumors G3

I believe the cords themselves are identical to each other.

3. C DM macrumors Westmere

I'm guessing all the cords are Apple lighting cords (even for the older iPads)?

4. warburg2 thread starter macrumors newbie

What do you mean by "lighting cords"? The cords I'm referring to are those that come with the new iPad and iPhone 5 transformers used for charging the iPads and iPhones and for connecting them to Mac computers for syncing.

5. C DM macrumors Westmere

I meant to say Lightning (as in the new connector for Apple's iOS devices). But it sounds like you are using the new cords/cables and perhaps just the older transformers basically. I think the newer iPads can use a bit more power when charging--I think their chargers are 12W vs. 10W for the older ones. That said, the difference shouldn't be that huge. Now, if you use an iPhone power adapter, which I believe is 5W, then it would certainly take much longer to charge an iPad with that.

6. warburg2 thread starter macrumors newbie

No, I'm not using the iPhone adapters on my iPad Air, but I may be using the old 10 watt iPad adapters. Thanks for the information.

7. sflomenb macrumors 6502a

sflomenb

You're talking about this, right? [​IMG]

Identical for iPhone and iPad, only difference is the wall adaptors.

8. warburg2 thread starter macrumors newbie

Yes, that's what I mean. I seem to have old adapters. It's possible that my wife accidentally threw away the new adapters rather than the old ones. Is it possible to buy adapters from Apple?

9. colodane macrumors 6502a

colodane

The 12W and 10W chargers are the same dimensions. The 12W weighs a few grams more. They are labeled either 10W or 12W in small print on the label. The really small one for the iPhone is 5W.

Throwing away the old one wasn't a good idea. Still completely useable and handy for travel, charging in a different location, etc.

Yes, Apple chargers are available for about $19. Make sure you get a genuine Apple one. The 12W one is the most versatile as it can be used with any iPhone/iPod Touch/iPad.

10. warburg2 thread starter macrumors newbie

Yes, thanks very much. I ordered a new adapter from Apple.

11. charlituna macrumors G3

charlituna

Cords no, plugs yes. The old fat plug was only 10w and the new ones are 12w so it can be a slower charge on a new iPad. same if you use the iPhone plug which is only 5w

but you also want to be careful that your cords aren't pulled or tweaked. If they have 'cankles' around the ends they could also have a short in the wires (cause from pulling on them and loosing the connections) and be slowing down the charge

12. richwoodrocket macrumors 68020

richwoodrocket

The iPad lightning cord is longer than the iPhone lightning cord. That's the only difference

13. Mlrollin91 macrumors G4

Mlrollin91

Uh since when? The cables shipped are 1 meter. for all devices. You then have the option to buy a .5 meter or 2 meter cable.

14. richwoodrocket macrumors 68020

richwoodrocket

I think the iPad 2. I don't have my lightning cable for iPad handy now to give you a comparison but I believe it it longer. I know for a fact the 30 pin one was.

15. Mlrollin91 macrumors G4

Mlrollin91

My iPad 2 and my mother's iPhone 4S 30 pin cables are the same exact length. Launch day iPad 2 and a month after launch on the iPhone 4S.