iPad charger with iPhone?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Flybye, Feb 2, 2012.

1. Flybye macrumors regular

Hi all. I have an iPad2 and 4S.

Is it bad for the iPhone's battery to charge it with the iPad's charger? I've noticed the iPhone gets charged a lot faster with the iPad's charger due to the higher wattage, but I'm wondering if that has any ill effects on the iPhone's battery.

What about vice versa? Is it also bad in any way to slowly charge the iPad's battery with the iPhone's charger?

Not trying to be lazy. It's just that I don't always have one or the other.

Bonus question:
    Has anyone ever tried a usb hub attached to the iPad charger and had an iPhone and an iPad charging at the same time? I've been wondering if the iPad's charger has enough juice to actually be able to charge both over night although I'm sure it would take longer than usual to charge either one.

2. MykullMyerz macrumors 6502

MykullMyerz

As for your first question, the answer is no, the iPad charger will not damage your iphone's battery as the iPad charger does not "feed" the device because it allows the iPhone to just draw the amount of power it needs to charge itself.

And as far as vice versa goes, is an iPhone charger even capable of charging an iPad at all? I thought the amperage was too low. However, I could be wrong.

And I know nothing about your bonus questions, as I've never tried it.

3. thewitt macrumors 68020

thewitt

The iPhone charger will charge the iPad, but very, very slowly.

No harm will come to either device.

4. motoleo macrumors 6502a

motoleo

Even a 10W USB Power Adapter is compatible with both the iPhone 4S and the iPad. I've always shared them.

[​IMG]

The stronger the flow, the more it keeps your battery alive. It doesn't have any ill effects.

Just like you can charge an iPhone with a laptop.

Source: http://store.apple.com/us/product/MC359LL/A?fnode=MTc0MjU4NjA

5. Dweez macrumors 65816

Dweez

AFAIK, no. I use the same charger for both, consistently.

6. Flybye thread starter macrumors regular

Ah thanks guys! Just making sure.

And yes, I've charged the iPad with the iPhone's charger, but as some mentioned, it takes a REALLY long time. If I'm using the iPad while charging it with the iPhone charger, it does actually go up, but the percentage is like 1% every like 10-15 minutes. Haven't really timed it, but it does do it. Leave it alone all night and the iPhone charger does get the iPad up to 100%.

7. MykullMyerz macrumors 6502

MykullMyerz

Well, this whole time I had no idea. I will remember that the next time my ipad is dying and all I have is an iPhone charger available.

8. iaboodiwhy macrumors newbie

Dear,
    As for the first question: no
    Bonus Question : I use a USB hub ( extender ) all the time and it is perfect
    :apple: :mad::rolleyes::cool::p;):D:::eek::(:):confused::eek:

9. elmo151 Guest

I use the iPad charger for both and haven't had any trouble.

I use the 120v connection for charging. the iPad needs 10watts. I don't know id you can get that with a USB connection.

10. Buckeyestar macrumors 6502a

Buckeyestar

I use my iPad charger for both all the time. It works great and I enjoy the simplicity of only using one charger.

11. mrsir2009 macrumors 604

mrsir2009

If you use the iPad while charging it with the iPhone charger the power supply might not be enough to keep it afloat... So it might be best to turn the iPad off for fastest charging ;)