iPad charger work with iPhone?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by IpadSC400, Jan 5, 2014.

1. IpadSC400 macrumors 6502a

IpadSC400

Just a quick question...Is it 100% safe to charge my 5s with my iPad charger? I use my iPad charger to charge even a Nano so I assume it's ok. I just want to know if it does any damage to the battery in the long run.

TIA

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Yup, the phone will only take as much juice as it needs.

3. IpadSC400 thread starter macrumors 6502a

IpadSC400

4. Daniel3102 macrumors 6502

NOOOOOOO!!!!!!! iPad chargers are a higher voltage! Research says that is bad for Li ion batteries

5. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

This is incorrect. iPad and iPhone chargers supply the same voltage. :rolleyes:

6. dwfaust, Jul 18, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 6, 2014
  7. Daniel3102 macrumors 6502

"Li-ion cannot absorb overcharge, and when fully charged the charge current must be cut off. A continuous trickle charge would cause plating of metallic lithium, and this could compromise safety. To minimize stress, keep the lithium-ion battery at the 4.20V/cell peak voltage as short a time as possible."

" Prolonged charging above 4.30V forms plating of metallic lithium on the anode, while the cathode material becomes an oxidizing agent, loses stability and produces carbon dioxide"

http://batteryuniversity.com/learn/article/charging_lithium_ion_batteries

8. Squid7085 macrumors 6502a

Actually, I would recommend it. It charges the devices much quicker. I went out and bought a 12w iPad charger just to be my iPhone charger. I can be on 20% and charge it fully in 40 or so minutes.

The iPhone draws the current it can handle, so there is no harm in using a higher powered USB charger. The 5w chargers that have come with my iPhones are all still in the box.

9. Daniel3102, Jul 18, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 18, 2014

Daniel3102 macrumors 6502

I'm sorry guys! I just read that article the other day and thought that it would cause harm to the battery :( SO sorry to give bad advice :( :( :(

10. bandofbrothers macrumors 601

bandofbrothers

Don't be too concerned.

Your advice caused no harm just a little confusion.

Everyday is a school day.

11. crowd33 macrumors newbie

iphone and ipad charger

It's worth noting that the phone has thermal protection that will shut it down if its internal temperature gets too high, so even if it feels hot it isn't hot enough to damage the phone.:apple:

12. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

LOL, I've been using iPad chargers since the iPad 1, without any problems. I think you're wrong.

13. Newtons Apple macrumors Pentium

Newtons Apple

Like I am sure many others, I only use a iPad charger to charge both my iPads and iPhone. Been doing it for years and my iPhone loves it. Do jot think I have used the iPhone charger for any of my phones for years. They sit in their original box, unused.

14. C DM macrumors Westmere

I could swear there was a very recent thread about the speed of charging and pretty much everyone agreed that since the iPhone only takes so much current from any charger it would charge at the same rate even from those that would provide more power.