iPad Chargers

Scarpad

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jan 13, 2005
Ma
The new Mini comes with a 10w charger, I have a 12w charger I'm presuming was from my Air, and of course the Phone comes with that little 5w charger. Do you think using the 12w on the mini would just charge it faster or is there a heating issue, I notice the mini 4 and this is probably because of the thinner design gets noticibly warm while charging, so I'm thinking sticking with the 10 w is probably a good idea.

Anyone else have experience using different size chargers

Beerstalker

macrumors 6502
Jun 14, 2011
Peoria, IL
Using a 12W charger is fine. Apple devices will only pull as much current as they can safely take to charge. I use 12W iPad chargers to charge my iPhone all the time (and with the newer phones they will actually charge faster).

Reactions: Badrottie

rigormortis

macrumors 68000
Jun 11, 2009
Using a 12W charger is fine. Apple devices will only pull as much current as they can safely take to charge. I use 12W iPad chargers to charge my iPhone all the time (and with the newer phones they will actually charge faster).

Its time to revise opinions.

the new iPhone 6+s ( and probably the 6s and well) went back to the old phone charging current.

so its no longer asking for current above 5v @ 1000 ma as long as you use yosemite.

rest of post edited / fixed / retracted

here are my screen shots
6+

6+s

Last edited:

newellj

macrumors 604
Oct 15, 2014
East of Eden
That's outstanding research, although technically the first sentence of the post you quoted is still correct. You can use a 10W or 12W adapter without harming the phone, but it looks like the latest iPhones won't charge any faster. That's an interesting change.

the new iPhone 6+s ( and probably the 6s and well) went back to the old phone charging current.

so its no longer asking for current above 5v @ 1000 ma

i have a post about it in iPhones tips section

I'm surprised none of the apple blogs are picking up on this tip. i emailed that zach guy 2 days before he posted today's "worse things about the new iPhone 6s" article on bgr and he didn't even read my email

the old iPhone 6 and 6+ fully supported the ipad charging current of 5 v @ 2100 ma, the new ones DO NOT

here are my screen shots
6+

6+s

colodane

macrumors 6502a
Nov 11, 2012
Colorado
I purchased a 12W charger and use it here in a fixed location at home to charge all my devices. I use the smaller ones for travel. No issues.

Floris

macrumors 68020
Sep 7, 2007
Netherlands
The new Mini comes with a 10w charger, I have a 12w charger I'm presuming was from my Air, and of course the Phone comes with that little 5w charger. Do you think using the 12w on the mini would just charge it faster or is there a heating issue, I notice the mini 4 and this is probably because of the thinner design gets noticibly warm while charging, so I'm thinking sticking with the 10 w is probably a good idea.

Anyone else have experience using different size chargers
The 12W can be used with these products:

Basically all phones, all ipads, all ipods and all watches.
(screen is from the apple sales page)

Screen Shot 2015-10-03 at 15.01.56.png

Reactions: Mivo

rigormortis

macrumors 68000
Jun 11, 2009
That's outstanding research, although technically the first sentence of the post you quoted is still correct. You can use a 10W or 12W adapter without harming the phone, but it looks like the latest iPhones won't charge any faster. That's an interesting change.
i did not mean to imply the phone would be damaged. the iPhone cant be damaged by the ipad charger because it HAS TO ASK for what current it wants.

it tells the ipad charger , hey give me iPod 4th gen current and the ipad charger says OK here you go

jpgr15

macrumors 6502a
Apr 28, 2015

so its no longer asking for current above 5v @ 1000 ma

i have a post about it in iPhones tips section

I'm surprised none of the apple blogs are picking up on this tip. i emailed that zach guy 2 days before he posted today's "worse things about the new iPhone 6s" article on bgr and he didn't even read my email

the old iPhone 6 and 6+ fully supported the ipad charging current of 5 v @ 2100 ma, the new ones DO NOT

here are my screen shots
6+

6+s
That's very interesting. So there's no difference in charging time on a 6S between a 5W and 12W charger now?

rkuo

macrumors 6502a
Sep 25, 2010
That's very interesting. So there's no difference in charging time on a 6S between a 5W and 12W charger now?
What the computer senses or reports vs what actually happens on the iPhone 6s Plus (on a standalone charger) are two different things. I have a usb charge meter and the iphone 6S Plus absolutely charges faster than 1A / 5W on the 12W charger. I measured it at 1.25A at an 80 pct charge level. At lower charge levels the amps should be higher but my phone wasn't drained enough for me to test that.

Last edited:
Reactions: jpgr15

jpgr15

macrumors 6502a
Apr 28, 2015
What the computer senses or reports vs what actually happens on the iPhone 6s Plus (on a standalone charger) are two different things. I have a usb charge meter and the iphone 6S Plus absolutely charges faster than 1A / 5W on the 12W charger. I measured it at 1.25A at an 80 pct charge level. At lower charge levels the amps should be higher but my phone wasn't drained enough for me to test that.
Thanks for the reply. That what I was wondering - if anyone had some real life experience with this.

Eau Rouge

macrumors regular
Sep 21, 2013
Just as an additional data point. My 6s at 21% doesn't seem to exceed 1.1A while connected to a 12W charger. It will draw ~1.25A with the screen on and scrolling around but settles back to ~1.1A while idle.

rigormortis

macrumors 68000
Jun 11, 2009
okay. i researched this issue more

we need to call apple care and ask them whats going on???

however. the posts have been changed to:

If you want to charge your iPhone 6s or 6+s at full ipad current using your mac, you must upgrade to El Capitan
if you continue to use Yosemite, you will only get 1000 ma current

if you need a software update to get fast charging on your mac, do you need your charger updated???? does the old 12 watt chargers know about the new iPhones??? do they need a firmware update???

iphone 6+s charging 2.jpg
here is what the mac book pro late 2013 says once it has been updated to El Capitan.

a mac mini 2010 model running el Capitan says
current available 1000
required 500
extra 500
sleep 1000

Last edited:

rigormortis

macrumors 68000
Jun 11, 2009
this needs more research. but i found out the charging current was limited because i was running Yosemite.
an upgrade to El Capitan is required to enable fast charging

newellj

macrumors 604
Oct 15, 2014
East of Eden
this needs more research. but i found out the charging current was limited because i was running Yosemite.
an upgrade to El Capitan is required to enable fast charging
But that would only tell us what the computer is doing over a USB 3.0 interface, not how a 120v adapter will work, unless I'm missing something here?

rigormortis

macrumors 68000
Jun 11, 2009
But that would only tell us what the computer is doing over a USB 3.0 interface, not how a 120v adapter will work, unless I'm missing something here?
yeah we need to ask apple! if our computers need a software update to charge our iPhone 6s phones, do we need a software update for our ipad air charger from 2 years ago???

is there a cut off , say ipad air 2 , or worse ipad pro charger , to get an ipad charger to know how to charge the new phones??

if an iPhone wants 12 watts of current , it first must ask for it, and yosemite didn't know how to answer the iPhone, so I'm thinking the charger doesn't know either.

i had a ipad charger fail on me, it reduced its charing current by half and i had to get a replacement

if u connect an iPod touch 4th gen to an ipad charger, its smart enough to know not to try pushing 2100 ma at it. so how does it know which iPhone you have ?

Last edited:

Mivo

macrumors regular
Jan 23, 2015
Germany
As an aside, it is normal that the charger gets uncomfortably hot while it is charging (only then). That had initially concerned me, but when I dug into the issue, the consensus among posters and of articles was that it is working as intended. But yes, I also had vivid images of the thing bursting into flames. :)

rigormortis

macrumors 68000
Jun 11, 2009
As an aside, it is normal that the charger gets uncomfortably hot while it is charging (only then). That had initially concerned me, but when I dug into the issue, the consensus among posters and of articles was that it is working as intended. But yes, I also had vivid images of the thing bursting into flames. :)
it should be warm to the touch.

if you have any doubts, just tell the genius to replace it. i don't think he's going to sweat about it and say you need to have apple care your your ipad has to be under warranty for a $19 part

maybe you should borrow your friends laser temperature thingy and measure its temperature and take a picture of it before you go to the genius bar!

if they don't replace it, they will probably just tell you to back up , erase, and restore your ipad

fricotin

macrumors 6502
Sep 26, 2011
Puerto Escondido, Oaxaca, Mexico
it should be warm to the touch.

if you have any doubts, just tell the genius to replace it. i don't think he's going to sweat about it and say you need to have apple care your your ipad has to be under warranty for a $19 part

maybe you should borrow your friends laser temperature thingy and measure its temperature and take a picture of it before you go to the genius bar!

if they don't replace it, they will probably just tell you to back up , erase, and restore your ipad

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.