iPad Charging Time

Discussion in 'iPad' started by iboost79, Dec 16, 2010.

1. iboost79 macrumors member

I recently picked up an iPad and i noticed that the charging time was much more longer than my MacBook Pro. It was at 30% when I plugged it into the wall, using the iPad charger and 4 hours later it's now at 66%.

Is it normal to charge so slow? And yes, I'm using the iPad oem charger.

2. vastoholic macrumors 68000

vastoholic

No not normal to what I'm seeing with my charges. That seems extremely slow. Mine usually takes a few hours from 25-30% to get to get fully charged. Never 4 hours though, especially not just for 30% charge.

3. iboost79 thread starter macrumors member

That's what I thought. I guess I need to make another trip to the Apple Store.

4. Capt T macrumors 6502a

Also are you using the USB to dock connector that came with it? Some in the past have said that too makes a difference in both charging time and backup speed.

5. poloponies macrumors 68030

I haven't charged mine in a couple of days and noticed it had dropped to 24% when I checked it this morning. I plugged it in for about an hour before I left for work and it was at 66% when I grabbed it, so clearly much faster than what you're getting.

6. iboost79 thread starter macrumors member

I'm using the iPad charger plugged into the wall. I even tried different sockets and still the same result.

7. vastoholic macrumors 68000

vastoholic

Just plugged mine in after responding the first time. It was 55% and under an hour later I'm at 75%. So probably not as fast as I was thinking, but still faster than your speeds. Hopefully you're able to get it fixed for free and hopefully it's just a charging cable issue and nothing wrong with the iPad itself. Good luck.

8. m.hoover macrumors newbie

Ipad charge times

Both my wife and I have iPads, charging times seem to vary on both for some reason, have an app that sends e-mail when charging is complete. The lower battery life is the faster my iPads seem to charge.

9. Nausicaa macrumors 6502a

I don't know how accurate your time scale is, but I wouldn't say that's abnormal. Mine takes a very long time to charge as well. One of my major complaints with the iPad I otherwise love so much. I wish it was more like my iPad, which goes from zero to 100% in less than an hour. I'd say the iPad takes about four times as long.

10. Muscleflex macrumors 6502

I use my iPhone 3G charger for my iPad coz I want to continue slow charging my iPad rather than fast charging it.

11. poloponies macrumors 68030

That couldn't be more pointless. Using the appropriate charger is hardly "fast charging" whatever you might mean by that (otherwise meaningless) term.

12. jazziethomas macrumors member

Some are complaining about this one, I think you are right the USB and the real charger have difference in charging time.