Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

iPad Closing in on Kindle in eReader Ownership

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001
https://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogodarkd.png

Research firm ChangeWave today released the results of a new survey of its audience of professionals and early-adopter consumers, showing that the iPad is quickly gaining ground on Amazon's Kindle in the eReader market, despite its different feature set and higher price point. According to the survey, the Kindle leads the iPad 47% to 32%, a dramatically smaller margin than the 62%-16% spread of just three months ago. Both devices dwarf Sony's Reader (5%) and Barnes & Noble's Nook (4%) in popularity.

Based on the survey, Apple appears poised to continue to make gains on the Kindle, with 42% of respondents looking to purchase an eReader over the next 90 days planning to buy an iPad, while only 33% plan to purchase a Kindle.

The iPad's strength is mirrored in its user satisfaction ratings, with 75% of iPad owners in the survey calling themselves "very satisfied" with their purchase, as opposed to 54% of Kindle owners registering with the same level of satisfaction. Finally, the survey found that while iPad owners are less likely to read eBooks than Kindle owners (76% vs. 93%), they are much more likely to consume other types of digital reading material such as newspapers, magazines, and blog and news feed content.

Article Link: iPad Closing in on Kindle in eReader Ownership

swb1192

macrumors 6502
Dec 4, 2007
What I got out of this:

7% of Kindle owners don't read eBooks on their device :confused:

Comment

shartypants

macrumors 6502a
Jul 27, 2010
That's because people are buying iPads for more than just reading books. People will probably still keep their kindles for reading, well, until they are fully assimilated over to the iPad :)

Comment

MsMerryMac

macrumors regular
Apr 4, 2010
I sold my Kindle in anticipation of getting the iPad and have not regretted it one bit. The Kindle would have totally collected dust had I kept it. I seriously don't know why anyone would buy a Kindle that only does one thing. I understand the price is quite low, but the iPad does SO much more AND you can read ebooks from any major bookseller.

Comment

kuwisdelu

macrumors 65816
Jan 13, 2008
What I got out of this:

This one is confusing the hell out of me too. What are they doing with their Kindles??

Also, I'd be interested to see a breakdown of what ereader apps people use on the iPad, i.e., iBooks vs. Kindle vs. B&N and Stanza, etc.

Last edited:
Comment

ruinfx

macrumors 6502a
Feb 20, 2008
the flaw in this article is that amazon can still potentially profit if a customer buys an ipad over a kindle if the customer uses the kindle app on their ipad. on the other hand, if a customer buys a kindle there isnt an "ibooks for kindle" app so apple has no potential gain.

i dont think amazon is too worried.

Comment

Muffin87

macrumors member
May 7, 2007
I've got a kindle of my own and I often use other people's iPad.
iPad is really something I like and am likely to buy it when the new one is released, but I think e-ink is so much better than LCD backlit screen when it comes to reading.
I'd really like an iPad with an hybrid e-ink/LCD screen.
It wouldn't be that difficult to switch the e-ink on whenever the iBook application is opened and switch it off whenever the iBook app is closed.

Or is it that the hybrid e-ink/LCD screen produced nowadays eventually work as a very bad e-ink screen and a very bad LCD screen?
I've never seen one if not in video reviews.

Comment

iKennett

macrumors 6502
Nov 22, 2007
I sold my Kindle in anticipation of getting the iPad and have not regretted it one bit. The Kindle would have totally collected dust had I kept it. I seriously don't know why anyone would buy a Kindle that only does one thing. I understand the price is quite low, but the iPad does SO much more AND you can read ebooks from any major bookseller.

I couldn't disagree more LOL! I have an iPhone 4, iPad, new MacBook Air and my kindle arrived recently.

The Kindle is a dedicated reading device which is does spot on, reading with the iPad is not the same as the Kindle. The Kindle is better suited to longer reading and more portable.

When reading the Kindle I have to keep telling myself the words aren't actually printed in the screen :D

I love my Kindle and with the iPhone and iPad apps it make sense to me!

Comment

DocPenguin

macrumors regular
Jun 15, 2010
Florida
Definitely a bad comparison. It's like apples and oranges. The iPad is a tablet computer, not an eReader. The iPad is gaining in popularity, for sure, but I'd guess that most people buying them aren't doing so just to read books if at all. If you are a avid book reader, a Kindle, Nook, or other eInk device is the only way to go, the iPad won't cut it. Period.

Comment

lindafus

macrumors member
Jan 1, 2010
Huh?

I have owned an iPad since it came out. I just recently, upgraded my Kindle 2 to kindle 3. I do not use an iPad to read books. I would never want to read a book on my iPad. The ipad is too heavy, glare from overhead lights is horrible on an iPad, not comfortable to hold and the back lighting kills my eyes. I use both devices nearly daily. I wonder how many folks use both?

I wonder how accurate these surveys really are? :eek:

Comment

bartszyszka

macrumors member
Dec 7, 2004
New York, NY
What about iPad apps?

The first chart in this post is misleading. I sold my Kindle 2 for an iPad, but most of the time I get e-books it's from Amazon's Kindle app for iPad. So the trend towards iPad isn't a problem for Amazon as long as most people buy their books on the iPad.

In fact most of the time I forget that iBooks is even an option because I'm often on a computer when I'm looking for my next book (or just adding to my wishlist) where I can't browse the iBooksstore.

Comment

akm3

macrumors 68020
Nov 15, 2007
That's because people are buying iPads for more than just reading books. People will probably still keep their kindles for reading, well, until they are fully assimilated over to the iPad :)

I got a Kindle after getting my iPad. I think they are both useful.

Comment

aristotle

macrumors 68000
Mar 13, 2007
Canada
What I got out of this:

Amazon offers newspaper subscriptions only on the kindle devices and not the kindle apps so some might use their kindle just for reading the newspapers during their daily commute to work.

Comment

theberad

macrumors newbie
Feb 3, 2005
iPad for reading...

I tried a Kindle after owning my iPad for a couple months and reading two long books with it. I find the Kindle superior in only one respect: weight. Beyond that, the iPad looks better, in my opinion, and I love the backlight as I don't have to read in a brightly lit room -- in fact, I generally read in bed at night without any lights on. The biggest problem I have with e-ink devices after using my iPad is that the screen refresh is extremely slow -- slower than turning a physical page... whereas on the iPad it is instant.

I must be honest, I believe the remarks about "eyestrain" with a backlit device are pure bullocks and psychological at best. Reading is arguably hard on the eyes for some, but the difference between reflected light verses direct light is minimal for eyestrain in my opinion.

BTW, the Kindle book reader is my favorite book app on the iPad.

In the end, I don't think this is really a competition. I'm thrilled more people are reading on electronic mediums regardless of the platform. It only makes sense. I am enraged, however, at book publishers that charge a premium for their electronic books over what I can purchase their printed counterparts. That is plain idiotic. The real revolution will come in college textbooks given the enormous printing costs for these narrowly distributed items.

Comment

DocPenguin

macrumors regular
Jun 15, 2010
Florida
I tried a Kindle after owning my iPad for a couple months and reading two long books with it. I find the Kindle superior in only one respect: weight. Beyond that, the iPad looks better, in my opinion, and I love the backlight as I don't have to read in a brightly lit room -- in fact, I generally read in bed at night without any lights on. The biggest problem I have with e-ink devices after using my iPad is that the screen refresh is extremely slow -- slower than turning a physical page... whereas on the iPad it is instant.

I must be honest, I believe the remarks about "eyestrain" with a backlit device are pure bullocks and psychological at best. Reading is arguably hard on the eyes for some, but the difference between reflected light verses direct light is minimal for eyestrain in my opinion.

BTW, the Kindle book reader is my favorite book app on the iPad.

There is definitely a major difference between reading on the iPad vs an eInk display with the benefit going to eInk for sure. As for the refresh, both the Kindle and Nook have received software updates that drastically improved the refresh time. Its less than half a second now.

Comment

richpjr

macrumors 68040
May 9, 2006
I also do what several others have pointed out - using the Kindle reader on the iPad when I read eBooks. The selection of iBooks is pathetic compared to the Kindle books.

Comment

dwsolberg

macrumors 6502a
Dec 17, 2003
I have both a Kindle and iPad, and I prefer the iPad for reading books. It's true that glare can be a problem, but I read mostly inside and in the evening, so the backlit screen is much better for me because I can read in a dimly lit room or in bed. Also, the screen is much bigger and I can easily go back and forward a few pages without waiting. (It's not a long time, but it is long enough that is can break my train of thought.) Also, I tend to read nonfiction, and color graphs are much better than grayscale graphs.

---

I haven't bought any iBooks so far. I prefer Amazon's website for ordering because of the user reviews and recommendations, and so I just use the Kindle application.

Last edited:
Comment

theberad

macrumors newbie
Feb 3, 2005
There is definitely a major difference between reading on the iPad vs an eInk display with the benefit going to eInk for sure.

The point I make is that this assumes ideal lighting conditions -- otherwise you'll strain your eyes more on e-ink devices. The lack of color also makes for a shallower experience on current e-ink devices, but I understand that will be changing sometime soon.

You just have to love the great advancements in electronic publishing, regardless.

Comment

NATO

macrumors 68000
Feb 14, 2005
Northern Ireland
I also do what several others have pointed out - using the Kindle reader on the iPad when I read eBooks. The selection of iBooks is pathetic compared to the Kindle books.

I agree. I use the Kindle reader exclusively for paid content due to the better range and lower prices, but the iBooks app is great for imported PDFs.

Comment

Shasterball

macrumors 6502a
Oct 19, 2007
I don't get this. You can't count every iPad as an e-reader; especially if that is not the intended use of the device. If that's the case, all iPhones should be e-readers too...

Comment

lucidmedia

macrumors 6502a
Oct 13, 2008
Wellington, New Zealand
I got a Kindle after getting my iPad. I think they are both useful.

Agreed. I am quite happy with both. The kindle "overlaps" functionality with my iPad as much as my kindle overlaps functionality with my laptop. I occasionally use my ipad for a book reader (particularly with PDF files in Goodreader) but I prefer the Kindle.

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.