iPad coming to Korea!

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Mapmonkey, Nov 8, 2010.

1. Mapmonkey macrumors regular

Refresh from KT via twitter ( @ollehkt_expats)

iPad will be available for preorder in Korea from Tuesday.
    Looks like might only be the 3G models as they are signing folks up for two year contracts. No update yet on the Apple korea store, but that's not unusual as they are pretty slow at the best of times.
    My take on this is that 4.2 is coming very soon, as they need it here for Korean language support. Yes, I know there are work arounds for this but for commercial success here it needs to work out of the box.
    My local gadget store was stocked up with new iPad cases and protectors on Sunday, so I think they had a heads up on this too!

Sorry, so excited and can't wait to see Samsung taking another stuffing!:D
    Further info here
    http://phonestore.show.co.kr/jsp/ipad/pop_paper.html
    Cheers folks

2. Mapmonkey thread starter macrumors regular

Update

More info here
    http://phonestore.show.co.kr/handler/Presale-Preview2

I can't find prices yet and the link to order is down, but looks like they will sell all models even though the preorder form is for the 3G models only.

Looking around their site, they are well prepared and looking to go hammer and tongs at this baby!

Have to wait till the wife is awake to get a translation of the site.
    cheers
    :)

3. Don Kosak macrumors 6502a

Don Kosak

Nice!

I had to laugh at the English recipe for Chocolate Chip Cookies screen shot on the (otherwise completely) Korean web page.

In iOS 4.2 they have a Korean keyboard layout (Hangul). The layout name is called "2-Set Korean", that seems to be the only option.

There is a "한국어" (Korean) option for System Language as well.

I worked with Daum (the Internet company that did HanMail, Cafe, etc.) for a few years. My friends there will be excited to see this.

Oh, and welcome to MacRumors Mapmonkey. ^_^v

4. hcho3 macrumors 68030

Does this mean Korean language will be added to the iOS now? It is so stupid of apple for making like 20 or more languages available to type on iPhone verison of iOS. But, iPad version of iOS only supports like wat... 8-10 languages?
    Why is this!????

5. hcho3 macrumors 68030

Oh, Snap...
    You are right. I am running iOS 4.2 GM verison and it has korean keyboard. Well well.. I am going to make a good use of this one.

6. hcho3 macrumors 68030

It is going to cost a lot....
    Like really a lot of money to buy iPad. They always charge outrageous money for apple products in korea.

7. Don Kosak macrumors 6502a

Don Kosak

Yeah, I just set my iPad to Korean. (한국어) in the iOS 4.2 settings app.

It's all in Korean. Most of the localized Apps seem to pickup the system language and are in Korean as well.

There seem to be more options for input when in Korean System mode, but I can't tell you exactly what they are.

Of course my Korean language skill is somewhere between that of a 2 year old and a Dog... So setting it back to English will take me a few minutes. LOL

8. agkm800 macrumors 6502a

agkm800

Korea is a relatively small market, but Korea - home of Samsung and LG - is more in love with iPhone and I'm sure iPad will be dearly loved as well.

9. anjinha macrumors 604

anjinha

4.2 will have a lot more languages.

10. wesk702 macrumors 68000

wesk702

Awesome. My dad just received the iPad I sent, after it was held up in customs.
    He'll be glad he can set it up to Korean when 4.2 comes out.

11. OceanView macrumors 65816

Is it easy to go back and forth from English to Korean and back?
    Does it require reboot or anything like that?

I'm very interested but want to have the flexability to switch quickly between the language.

Thanks

12. Don Kosak macrumors 6502a

Don Kosak

Yeah, really easy to switch back and forth. After you pick the language, the screen goes black and displays a message "Changing language" for about 5 seconds, then the launcher reappears and you're in the new language.

Now, if you just want to type in a different language, that's really easy, just go to the keyboard options, and add the keyboards for the languages you need. Your Apps will still be in your system language, but you'll be able to type in any of the langages you setup a keyboard for. (Just tap the international key to switch keyboards.)

13. OceanView macrumors 65816

That's great!
    Thanks for the quick reply.
    Now I'm just waiting for Apple to release 4.2.

14. David085 macrumors 6502a

David085

Don't live in Korea but good to hear Apple is releasing the iPad in Korea would be neat to use it to browse the web on there high speed internet connection if I did travel to Korea.

15. Mapmonkey thread starter macrumors regular

Prices are not officially confirmed yet but we have seen prices mentioned that are on par with the rest of the worldwide market. Apple don't charge the Koreans here any extra than other countries. The iPhone prices here are a lot cheaper than the UK.
    On the other hand Samsung charges outrageous prices in Korea compared to the US and Europe. The locals get stuffed by the local firms, because there has been little incentive to sell for less when you don't have overseas competitors. The past year has changed that, and it's great to see so many iPhones and MacBooks in use all over the city.
    Maybe folk here are getting wise to being ripped off by their corporate brothers. Two netbooks with the same spec one HP ₩350,000,one Samsung nothing under ₩600,000.
    Cheers:)

Ps.
    Don K, thanks for the welcome. Love Boston, my sis lives there!

16. blakeables, Nov 10, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 14, 2010

blakeables macrumors newbie

I cannot wait for the language support! I'm so tired of wanting to type in Korean and having to default to my iPhone. Also, iPad versions of naver and daum apps (especially maps) will be amazing to have.

As for the two year contract business, it's nice to see that foreigners will again be dumped on. I only managed to get an iPhone here after working out the system and tricking SHOW.

Just to note though, the olleh/KT and NESPOT wifi services all around the cities don't support safari. For wifi, we still have to rely on all the wireless routers businesses leave open.

The site also says they are selling the wifi version with the mifi egg as a bundle. That would be great in Seoul but sad in other cities until SHOW makes it actually useable. I'm curious if they'll boost the 3G data rates in other cities too. My iPhone uploads like a snail in Daegu.

17. webbyboy macrumors newbie

18. Mapmonkey thread starter macrumors regular

The two year contract is for ALL not just us foreigners! The guys at @ollehkt_expats posted a copy of the T&C in Korean and English take a look on twitter. Just how easy it will be is another deal! But given the stink with the iPhone launch I think it will be a bit easier this time around.

On the Qook/Nespot issue it's only if you try to buy the temporary ID while your in the coffee shop or wherever. I am going to sign up tomorrow for the Wifi single package at ₩8000 per month, I will let you know how I get on.

As I said in my original post, yes there are ways you can do it. But I wanted to stress the launch aspect as you can't jailbreak a device you don't have!

Followed the link great info if you can read Korean and have a iPad. If any expats need help feel free to pm or post here and I will do what I can to help if it's Korea specific.

As a side note just picked up an airport express and it works a treat with Airplay on the iPad and iPhone, even the wife was impressed:rolleyes:

Cheers

19. blakeables macrumors newbie

That would be really good if you find out anything interesting, whilst signing up! I was thinking of signing up this week, too. My home Internet is with Qook and I know there's a quick signup for current members so you can use the same login information.

On another note, I installed iOS 4.2 GM2 on the weekend. It's wonderful being able to type in Korean. I don't have a computer, only an iPad and iPhone, so this update meant a great deal to me!

20. Mapmonkey thread starter macrumors regular

Olleh Wifi

Success with KT/Olleh WiFi
    I went into my local KT plaza on Tuesday and signed up for WiFi Single. It took 15 mins, I needed my ARC and the iPad Wifi id. I even used my KEB debit card to make the payments. No contract 8000 won per month. Tested it outside a Hotspot this evening works fine.:)bunny

They didn't speak English my Korean is very poor. But sign language and smiles go along way here;)

21. robinslee macrumors newbie

KT oleo

map monkey,

I went the KT global store yesterday and went thru a typical Korean knot assuring them I could use the 8,000/won a month service with my wifi iPad. it worked for nespot but they told me I cannot use QOOK Show because you have to have a device with a sim card. Is this your experience? why would I need a sim for a wifi network? Are you finding the nespot useful? doesn't seem to be that many around compared to the QOOK.

22. Mapmonkey thread starter macrumors regular

It's best not to try asking questions in Korea, sort of have to know exactly what you want to get it:rolleyes:

Anyway I am in Tom Toms coffee shop right now hooked up to SID qooknshowbasic. NESPOT as well works in the same shop. NESPOT was the orginal name for the service. There are over 40000 wifi points you can access without wifi single service. Just look for the olleh wifi red sign.
    You don't need a sim, they are talking about the auto join for KT sims in iPhones etc.

If you get stuck drop the ollehkt_expats a twitter. They are really helpful.
    Hope it helps:)