iPad Commuters - How and with what do you use it?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by ratboy90, Aug 5, 2011.

1. ratboy90 macrumors 6502

ratboy90

Do any of you commute with your iPad? What do you use it for on-the-go? What kind of case do you have?

I just got my iPad and i know I'm going to be using it on-the-go quite a bit just for reading newspapers. I'm not sure whether I should get a smart cover/shell combo or some kind of leather folio.

2. Tritons macrumors 6502

I bought iPad two days ago and what I did - Get Smart Cover, will protect your iPads screen and it's just awesome. And nothing for back, if you will scratch it after a while just get iCarbon skin and you wont see scratch anymore. Or get one of those ultra slim back covers (0,8mm)

3. markscottuk macrumors newbie

I got a leather smart cover and it is more look than function. I also got the clear plastic moulded back to stop any scratches.

I find the iPad ideal for reading electronic copies of IT books which otherwise weigh a tonne.

4. anjinha macrumors 604

anjinha

If I'm also taking my laptop I usually take both in a messenger bag from Incase, that has its own iPad slot. If I'm not taking the laptop I put the iPad in a sleeve and take it in my purse. The iPad also has a smart cover.

5. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

I always have my laptop bag, containing MBP and iPad.

iPhone in my pocket.

6. bufffilm Suspended

bufffilm

i bought the ipad primarily for commuting duties - 75% of the time as an ebook & pdf reader, 25% of the time watching movies. i use the marware ceo hybrid case. it covers all the bases.

7. Kebabselector macrumors 68030

Kebabselector

I'd find it difficult to commute with my iPad. The suspension on our buses makes it a bit tricky to use (Video - skip the first minute for a quick view on suspension - or lack of.)

8. spiderman0616 macrumors 68030

spiderman0616

I bought an iPad BECAUSE I commute.

I have a cover on the back that I got for $10 on eBay--it's just a form fitted rubber wraparound type thing. It works really well for me, because it offers a little extra grip and I am not afraid to put it down on anything.

I keep the iPad with the back cover on it in a zip up folio style hard case. This protects the screen when I'm in transit. Because of this, I really don't feel the need for a screen protector, and have not picked up any scratches yet.

I use a Wenger Swiss Army backpack. It has a dedicated iPad/laptop compartment so I'm not worried about slipping my iPad in there and running out the door. I also keep all my chargers, headphones, rain gear, keys, train pass, etc. in my bag. It's kind of my commuting survival kit. If anyone ever robbed me and took my bag, I'd be 100% screwed. But I am only on the train during rush hour with all the "suits" so I don't worry about it too much.

9. ratboy90 thread starter macrumors 6502

ratboy90

that's my big worry. I'm going to be in the middle of rush hour quite often on the Tube and I don't want get bumped and the iPad hits a railing or something and falls into a million pieces. My bag also has a laptop iPad compartment but I'm still not sure whether the smart cover/back cover combo will cut it.

10. saberahul macrumors 68040

If you're worried about dropping it, nothing gets better than an otterbox. My 2¢

11. ratboy90 thread starter macrumors 6502

ratboy90

Yeah that's solid stuff but it also makes it huge and heavier. I'd prefer something sleeker even if it means less protection. Going to have to find a good leather folio