iPad Compatible Car Head Units

Discussion in 'iPad' started by jrp27540, Nov 29, 2011.

1. jrp27540 macrumors newbie

I know people think this concept is crazy, but i am trying to confirm if a car head unit is compatible with audio streaming VIA built-in Bluetooth. I use my ipad in our mini-van during long road trips so the kids can watch movies on it. I use a FM modulator currently; it sucks. Has anyone had any susses streaming audio through a Dual brand head unit? I am looking at either the Dual XHD7714 or the Dual XDMA6415. Any input would be appreciated. Thanks!

2. jrp27540 thread starter macrumors newbie

Found My Answer

If any wants to know, I found the answer about streaming iPad to car receivers. After finding a PDF manual for both receivers, i found the following:

"To stream music to your head unit, your mobile device must support the following criteria:
    • A2DP profile to stream audio
    • AVRCP profile to control your music.
    Check the owner's manual or manufacturer of your device for compatibility.
    • Streaming audio must be enabled from your mobile device. This option will vary depending on the device. Example: "wireless stereo."
    • Disabling AV MODE must be done from your mobile device."

According to Apples website (http://support.apple.com/kb/ht3647) The iPad 1 and 2 both support A2DP and AVRCP. In theory it should work. Learned something new about Bluetooth profiles :)

3. poloponies macrumors 68030

As opposed to the tried and true aux-in?

Although as a parent of formerly small kids, I'd think a solution for the kids to listen to their movie while the grown-ups listen to something less mind-numbing. Why not just a headphone splitter on the iPad?

4. jrp27540 thread starter macrumors newbie

I thought about that, but My kids are 2 and 3. I don't trust them with cords and an iPad, even though my 3 year old can run it better than me; there are great educational learning games out there for toddlers. I also have a slick setup to hang it from the roof of the van too. The head unit is only $69.00; figured that wouldn't be a bad investment considering how much we travel to see the grandparents.

5. Q-Dog macrumors 6502

Q-Dog

I have used the ipod docking cable in our Honda with the iPad with no issues. This is an interface I bought that plugs into the back of the factory radio in the car and charges and plays audio from theiPod/iPad. The cable is quite long and can easily reach the back seat.

6. takeshi74 macrumors 601

Bluetooth is tried and true these days.

And the OP specified it.

7. poloponies macrumors 68030

Sorry, didn't realize the forum was police-patrolled. Not a thing wrong with BlueTooth; stupidly believed I could make a helpful suggestion without penalty. Guess I was wrong.

8. darngooddesign macrumors G3

That was a tad dramatic.

Nothing about his response came across as heavy handed and he did point out that the OP asked about BT.

9. poloponies macrumors 68030

"Chiming in" after the OP has already replied to my response is pointless and a tad dramatic. The OP is an adult who understood my response in the context that I wrote it. Policing posts for some needless strict adherence to specific details is heavy-handed.

10. iphone1105 macrumors 68020

iphone1105

FWIW I have a Calrion CX501 Installed in my car. It has BT, USB slot, Sirius/XM, HD Radio etc....great media choices. As far as the iPad goes, I will say it works like butter with the unit. I used bluetooth once to stream an audio book I had on my iPad and it played fine. I mostly use the USB cable option to hook in though, but will confirm BT does work with this unit and the iPad/iPhone. It's a great unit, right around $175 right now and looks great in most cars as it has a "stock" look to it.

I'm sure any BT Head unit would communicate with any iPad just fine though, so long as the headunit has the proper BT specs. :)

11. almostinsane macrumors regular

I don't think you will get streaming audio from a video over Bluetooth. The audio lag would be too much.

A2DP/AVRCP is just for audio apps, not video apps.

12. riceguy macrumors newbie

I use a blackberry bluetooth stereo gateway i got off ebay for 20$
    It transmits a2dp audio to any aux port, all it needs is a micro usb to power, it turns on and off with the car power and stays hidden in my center console, for aux normal functionality i use a 3.5mm splitter. Sound quality is excellent

Ipad and cell phone streams audio with no problems Via BT

No car mods required unless u want to tap power from somewhere else, credit goes to Driveaccord.net