iPad: completely running down the battery

Discussion in 'iPad Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by Fantoni, May 18, 2012.

1. Fantoni macrumors member

Apple web site says that "for proper reporting of the battery’s state of charge, be sure to go through at least one charge cycle per month (charging the battery to 100% and then completely running it down)". But what exactly means "completely running down the battery"? 5%? 2%? Or do I have to wait that my iPad shut down itself for battery exhaustion?
    Thank you.
    Fantoni

2. Comeagain? macrumors 68020

Comeagain?

3. Fantoni thread starter macrumors member

But I have read here the following advice:

Could it be dangerous to let the iPad shut itself down?

4. xraytech macrumors 68030

My advice is to keep it simple and just plug your iPad in to charge before you go to sleep.

That's it!!!

That's all you need to do.

Once and a while you will forget to plug it in and eventually your iPad will run down. Then you can use that as an opportunity to calibrate the power management.

5. TheWheelMan macrumors 6502a

TheWheelMan

So you're going to doubt advice directly from Apple and instead believe advice from another website entirely?

Bottom line. Running it down every once in a while is all right. Just don't do it very often.

6. dedwarmo macrumors newbie

dedwarmo

The Wikipedia article for Lithium-ion batteries says, "Rechargeable batteries degrade with use, the capacity decreasing until it is unusably small. Li+ batteries last longer if not deeply discharged (depleted) before recharging. The smaller the depth of discharge, the longer the battery will last."

7. ntrigue macrumors 68040

ntrigue

Ultimately, you are talking about delaying the purchase of a $70 battery swap from four years to four years and three months.

Battery University has detailed information to support the ideal being:

Do not charge if above 80% and try to charge before you go below 20%.
    Discharge 100% to 0% then leave plugged in until 100% once a month.

Twelve discharges per year will not hurt your battery and the sites that say so are hold-overs from NiCad batteries.

8. Rodster macrumors 68040

By the time your battery fails you will have seem anywhere between 3-4 generations of iPad's and you will have long got rid of it by then. So IOW, don't worry and just enjoy your iPad. ;)