Ipad: Connecting to internet (linksys wi-fi)

Discussion in 'iPad' started by classie787, Mar 24, 2011.

1. classie787 macrumors member

Hello,

My cousin just bought a Apple iPad and he brought it over, but we're having trouble connecting it to my wi-fi internet. Our laptops, and my iPod Touch, are all connected just fine. It says it is connected, and shows three gray signal bars in the upper left corner, but if I try to open any page I get, "Safari cannot open the page because it is not connected to the internet."

What are we boneheads doing wrong?

2. foranor macrumors regular

Does your linksys require devices to be registered with their MAC address, so that you'd have to configure the router before the device can actually successfully connect?

On the iPad it would seem to be correctly configured and connected, but as it is, the connection would be a restricted one.

3. classie787 thread starter macrumors member

I have no clue why, but just now it started working. Just out of the blue, after not working for a half hour. Works like a champ!

4. edk99 macrumors 6502a

Off the top of my head this sounds like an issue I had for a different device so you may want to check for this in the router setup.

My problem was in my paranoid setup of my router for DHCP I only allocated 10 IP addresses for up to 10 devices to connect. At the time it was 5 or 6 more then I would ever need. About a year later I started running into issues like you described where a device would not connect then all of a sudden later on it would start working fine. Well after hooking up 3 directv DVR's, 2 iPhones, laptop, xBox, Apple TV and so on I quickly ran out of IP's available. Until one was released I could not get connected. I finally figured it out and upped it to 50.

Not sure if this is the problem but it sounded like it could be a symptom of this.