iPad could cause insomnia, researchers say

Discussion in 'iPad' started by jlamarp, Apr 28, 2010.

1. PsyD4Me macrumors 6502a

PsyD4Me

2. Soulcrux macrumors 6502

Soulcrux

In other news, Researches find that using the iPad causes you to waste time, spend extra money, and rack up your electricity bill!

Yes, any bright light that shines directly towards you causes insomnia. Computer monitors, laptop screens, televisions, Nintendo DS's...
    Not just the iPad.
    Typical journalism "Oh hey this new thing is really popular so lets run on article about something that was already known but updated to include the new product so more people read it again."

3. Mitchll macrumors newbie

It's happening ...I don't even have mine yet (Friday comes slowly) and I am losing sleep in anticipation.

4. barkomatic macrumors 68040

While the fact that reading from a backlit LCD can cause insomnia I think this article specifically mentioned the iPad because many people will use it as an e-reader before going to bed. Usually, reading from a real book before sleeping is relaxing--we should not have the expectation with the iPad (in general, experiences vary).

5. Soulcrux macrumors 6502

Soulcrux

Yes but you can use an iPhone/iPod/Android phone/computer as an ereader as well. The fact that people may use it for something specific doesn't mean that makes it original reporting/research.

Just skewing it to make a buck. I respect that, but to say that it's "news" is a long shot

6. Travisimo macrumors 6502a

It causes insomnia because you can't put the thing down long enough to go to sleep! I bring it to bed with me, and pretty soon an hour or two have gone by when I should have been sleeping....

7. HiRez macrumors 603

HiRez

* This study paid for by Amazon Inc. Any connection to Amazon's products is unimportant.

8. fishmd macrumors 68000

fishmd

I concur. :D

9. JZ Wire macrumors regular

JZ Wire

Exactly! The iPad is the big talk of the web so they just use it to get people to read something that has been known for a long time. Tvs, computer screens, psps, lights, etc. All those things that produce light can keep one from falling asleep because it fool the brain and may alter your sleep cycle.
    I read the article and although they do mention other forms of light they do put an emphasis on the iPad.

As for me, I like to sleep in a pitch black room. No lights, tv, nothing. However, I know some people that cant fall asleep without the tv on.

10. ClaireL macrumors 6502a

ClaireL

It already is causing me insomnia! I used to go to bed much earlier before the day I got my iPad. Now...it's always 'just 5 more minutes on the ipad and I will go to bed' that turns into another hour or so! Lol

11. Zepaw macrumors 65816

Zepaw

It isn't a crazy theory, but I read on my iPhone all the time at night. Smaller screen of course, but it could still be plenty bright in the dark.

12. nj-mac-user macrumors 6502

nj-mac-user

The article seems like nothing more than a big advertisement for the Kindle.

13. DaneGuy macrumors 6502

This sucks. One of my main uses for the iPad is going to be reading before bed. Cause that's when I read! I wonder if turning brightness way down would help.

14. HiRez macrumors 603

HiRez

It does help for me. I turn it down most of the way (in the iBooks app) when I read in total darkness. Way too bright in the normal setting, in a totally dark room.

15. ScrewTheDaisies macrumors regular

*shrug* I read on my iPad every night (I've had it since the 5th) before I plug it in and go to sleep, and I haven't had any difficulty falling asleep. YMMV, but it's not a given that you'll get insomnia from reading on the iPad.

16. diabolic macrumors 68000

Near the end of the article:

"For a typical person who doesn’t have problems falling asleep, if they're using a Kindle or an iPad or whatever, they probably don’t need to worry"

17. HiRez macrumors 603

HiRez

I should add that it hasn't led to insomnia at all for me, I pretty much always fall asleep before long reading on iBooks. But, I can see eye strain being an issue if you read in a dark room without reducing the screen brightness.

18. riverfreak macrumors demi-god

riverfreak

You're an n of 1. So yes, YMMV.

This isn't anti-iPad propaganda folks. And it isn't "just a theory". More correctly what one would say is "just a hypothesis" but I digress.

It's well established that bright lights -- including those from computer screens -- can disrupt sleep cycles.

With the rise of devices like the iPad, it's going to become a more widespread problem. People should be aware of it.

19. DaneGuy macrumors 6502

I can see me losing a lot of sleep because I'm playing with the stupid thing all night. :D

20. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

Wait, we're just finding out that staring at a screen can cause insomnia??

Stop the presses! apparently it's the 80's again!:rolleyes:

21. MikhailT macrumors 601

Eh, using iBook and reducing the backlight to low enough that you can read it without pressure on your eyes, it'll be fine.

The problem is, people are reading interesting books at night time, those will keep you up regardless if it's an physical book, kindle or iPad. Read a boring stuff will make you go to sleep, something that you need to read for work or class or something.

22. LadyHoneyBabe macrumors 6502

ROFL!!! Isn't MSNBC owned by MICROSOFT & NBC? Hmmmmm...and, will this problem shop up in the media again when the Slate is released or does it only happen with iPad?

23. Zazoh macrumors 6502a

Zazoh

Ya, ditto, the article is dumb. I fall asleep watching TV, reading the iPad, or even in bright light during the day. I read it every night for about 15min before I'm too tired to hold it.

24. gwynne macrumors 68000

gwynne

This is what I thought the article would *actually* be about. Been there, done that, popped the ambien.