iPad iPad Crash help.

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by lyceumHQ, Apr 15, 2014.

1. lyceumHQ macrumors 6502a

lyceumHQ

Hoping someone can help.

I installed and ran iCleaner on my iPad 3 last night, right after it started crashing. Just randomly restarts every few minutes. Uninstalled iCleaner, kept crashing.

I tried a hard reset. No luck. Today I downloaded iLexRat, ran that. It didn't remove cydia, kept crashing. Ran semirestore, still crashing.

Tried iLexRat again, it removed cydia but it's still crashing. It's sat next to me now just restarting every few minutes without any apps open. And nothing on it besides the stock apps

I don't want to restore in iTunes. no jailbreak means no XBMC, which is all I use the iPad for.

Question I ask, even though I probably know the answer is no, is, do I have any more options? Is a restore through iTunes the only option I have left??

2. lyceumHQ thread starter macrumors 6502a

lyceumHQ

Think I'll give up and stop wasting my time.

I've been into cydia and reinstalled every single thing thats there (after running ilexrat, so no packages, just basic cydia). Plus it's been on charge for about two hours and hasn't moved off 31%.

I can't do anymore, will just restore in itunes and stick it on ebay. I love apple stuff but since I only use it for XBMC it makes more sense to have an android tab that doesn't rely on any jailbreaks etc.

3. cyber16 macrumors 6502

Did you re-run the jailbreak again with the same results in the end?
    I would NOT factory restore it, If selling it, say it is jailbroken with an explanation. I wager in the end you will get more $s for it compared to a stock 7.1 ipad. my 0.02

The buyer can always do the restore themselves

4. lyceumHQ thread starter macrumors 6502a

lyceumHQ

Yeah, ran evasion again. Crashed a few seconds later. Can't think of any more I could do. Semirestore and iLexrat haven't worked.

I'd keep it and wait for the 7.1 JB, But there's not guarantee there will be one.

I prefer iOS to android but not much point in me having a device when it can't perform it's primary use. At least if I have an android tab I can just hard reset and reinstall XBMC, not have to worry about a JB.

5. lyceumHQ thread starter macrumors 6502a

lyceumHQ

Right, have restored to 7.1 and it's still crashing?

6. cyber16 macrumors 6502

See now comes one of them I told you so ....
    If you would have just left it jailbroken and fully explained the crashing.
    It would have sold via ebay as you planned, yes the buyer would then been stuck with a device that appears to have a hardware failure of some kind.
    Yet with full disclosure you could have slept at night knowing you held nothing back being 100% honest.
    Now you need to deal with the hardware failure...
    Time to search the internet without the likes of jailbreak within the search.
    Maybe give it a few more restores with a fresh download of the IPSW

7. lyceumHQ thread starter macrumors 6502a

lyceumHQ

I'm in the UK. Selling an iPad with a fault would mean selling it for spares or repair. Buyers aren't stupid. They won't pay top price for an iPad that may or may not have a hardware fault. I'd get £100 max for it, minus eBay and PayPal fees, If I was lucky. Plus the buyer would have just done a paypal chargeback once they discovered it was a hardware issue and I'd have been left in the same position I'm in now, with a load of hassle added.

Had it been a software fault, selling a fully working iPad, minus the jailbreak would have added £100-£120 to it. With no issues after.

As it stands. It's on my house insurance as a listed item. I've filed a claim with them. Hopefully that pays out. If not, I'm no worse or better off then I am now.

8. cyber16 macrumors 6502

I understand and did not mean to come off as dishonest.
    At this point, I'd be trying a few more full restores and just hope its a software glitch, yet it sounds like something other.
    I also use an ipad in my case its the ipad 3 just for xbmc well.
    Therefore I feel the loss, nice think about xbmc is all the support for other OS's and hardware so you have plenty of other choices

9. taptic macrumors 65816

taptic

Back to the original q...

Experiment. I repair iDevices and many of them have more than just a cracked screen. Often times you just have to experiment...

Try putting it into DFU mode and then restoring.

If you haven't already, wait until it's battery is run down and then see if it still crashes.

Try contacting iCleaner support... who knows what they might have to say on the topic...

10. lyceumHQ thread starter macrumors 6502a

lyceumHQ

Will try a DFU mode restore. Thanks. Didn't think of that.

I'm loathed to switch to android to be honest. I've only ever had iPads. But it seems more logical since it's main use is XBMC and I rely on a jailbreak. And more often than not, when you jailbreak your in a position of not being able to update. Then you get a few months or so when you can. Then back to not being able too. And Sod's law dictates your jail broken device always messes up when there's no JB available for the version of iOS Apple is signing.

Battery won't charge properly. Been on charge 10 hours and is sat at 54%. I know the charge cable works fine since I charged my iPod yesterday.

And no Genius Bar appointments available until next Wednesday.