iPad data plan and roaming?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by OCDMacGeek, Mar 12, 2010.

1. OCDMacGeek macrumors 6502a

OCDMacGeek

Anyone have an educated idea as to how the iPad data plan will work hen you are roaming off the AT&T network? I live in Montana where there is no AT&T coverage. I'm debating with version of the iPad I should get. I am basically wondering whether I could roam on the data plan and use it in my home state.

2. skubish macrumors 68030

skubish

Probably the same as the iPhone or any other phone on ATT. They won't let you continuously roam.

3. Mactagonist macrumors 65816

Hopefully it will be unlocked and you can cut down a SIM card from a local GSM provider to fit.

If you are constantly roaming, dont expect AT&T to keep your service active long. Most carriers will only allow a few hundred MB of roaming data usage in a month on their more profitable $50-60/month contracted plans. A $30/month non contracted plan must have even lower limits.

4. zapp macrumors regular

zapp

I roam constantly in northern maine, been doing it since the iPhone came out, never a word from at&t.

5. skubish macrumors 68030

skubish

For how long at a time? Just a couple of days and then back to ATT's network?

We are talking about sustained roaming. Something like 3 months roaming without being on their network. Or if your phone/data usage is costing them too much money that you become unprofitable for ATT they will drop you like a bad habit.

And to answer another question, the iPad is unlocked some you could use it on a different GSM carrier.

6. lokerd macrumors 6502a

lokerd

Should roaming be turned on?

In the cellular data settings tab, should I have it turned to on? I have the unlimited plan. Will it cost more to do data roaming?

Thanks!