Ipad data plan or tethering?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by TigerBabe, Apr 12, 2011.

1. TigerBabe macrumors 6502

I am going to Las Vegas next month for 3 days and I am taking my ipad(VS1) with me. The hotel I am staying in doesn't offer free Wi-Fi. My two choices are either I can add tethering to my iphone 4 but, I lose my unlimited data or go with the ipad data plan for 14.99. Which is better? Also I don't want to JB either device.

2. einmusiker macrumors 68030

einmusiker

Do NOT give up your unlimited data. Just add the ipad data. Seems like a no brainer to me

3. TigerBabe thread starter macrumors 6502

I thought so as well but, I just wanted to make sure. Also can I cancel the plan at anytime?

4. einmusiker macrumors 68030

einmusiker

Yes. You only pay for the month that you use it, dont cancel mid month though as they will prorate the month and charg you overages

5. TigerBabe thread starter macrumors 6502

6. PurdueGuy macrumors regular

What hotel? Some hotels in Vegas have the internet rolled into the "resort fee."

In the past, when a group of friends and I have gone, I take an Airport Express, so we pay just once for internet, and 3-5 people share it.

7. TigerBabe thread starter macrumors 6502

It's the "Golden Nugget"

8. DynaFXD macrumors 6502a

DynaFXD

I assume that you iPad has a 3G radio in it. Regardless, I'd take my chances and assume you'll have ample Wifi support. Vegas isn't exactly a backwater. Check ATT/Verizon and see where their hotspots are out there. Call the Nugget and ask them if they have wifi. Seems like most all 3 star and above hotels have it anymore. Unless it is completely mission critical, I would say don't bother adding data for a single trip. Heck, I'd also say don't take the iPad at all! This is Vegas! Hit the strip, catch a show, don't bother being connected. Your iPhone should be able to cover your comm needs. But, if it is work related, let them pay for a month of data. ;)

9. scwatkins77 macrumors newbie

Yeah, I'd agree that if you have an unlimited data plan, don't let it go.

Otherwise (if you don't have an unlimited plan), I'd say it's better to upgrade your iPhone to the 4th plan and tether it, rather than buying a 3G iPad. The 3G models cost $130 more for the equivalent storage, on top of which you pay for the data monthly. I chose to by a higher capacity WiFi-only model and spend the monthly $ on upgrading my iPhone data plan for tethering.