IPad Data Plans in Canada

Discussion in 'iPad' started by buckawheat, Jun 10, 2011.

1. buckawheat macrumors member

I have been researching Ipad data plans at length for my Ipad2 3G.

What I have found is that it looks like the big three all have fairly similar plans where they offer low data with high overage charge and high data plan (more expensive) with a lower overage charge.

The best deal I've found so far is Virgin Mobile in that it is $5 for the SIM and they have a 500M for $20 but where their plan seems better is if you exceed the 500, they just put you on the 5G plan for $35 for that month. Also has unlimited wifi at starbucks (if wifi isn't free for everyone at starbucks now).

Has anyone found a better plan? I am looking to sign up on their soon if I don't find a better deal.

2. aery macrumors member

aery

I didn't even know about the Virgin plan, I thought it was only Rogers and Bell. There's not a lot of options that's for sure. I mean how does it makes sense to only have a 250MB plan and then a 5GB plan? Come on, how about some more options in the middle. I'm gonna look into that Virgin one though, thanks. 500MB is a bit better.

3. DeepIn2U macrumors 68040

DeepIn2U

WIFI is FREE for everybody at Starbucks throughout Canada.

4. MadGoat macrumors 65816

MadGoat

This is identical to the Telus plan I'm on, except that my SIM card was free. And yes, starbucks is free nationwide no matter who you're with.

5. tcatcrb macrumors member

tcatcrb

if you have an iPhone just tether the iPad to it and use the iPhone data plan instead and save yourself some money.

6. buckawheat thread starter macrumors member

So it looks like that might be the best plan we've got - sadly.

Can't wait for the day when we don't have monopolies and someone can buy an unlimited data plan over 3g for a mobile device.

7. tcatcrb macrumors member

tcatcrb

I'm with Rogers (but I think Bell & Telus are the same) and tethering is included as part of my 6gb data plan. So for me having the wi-fi iPad and tethering it is the cheapest and best option to go rather than giving them more money for a separate plan. you tend to have your phone with you all the time anyway so it's just the battery life with the phone to worry about.

8. MacBlackBook22 macrumors 6502

MacBlackBook22

I just signed up with Rogers, 500mb for $20 if I go over the 500 in a month then it goes up to $35 and a 5GB limit, got the sim card free. No activation fee. Signed on for the 2 year plan and got a $100 rebate. Also first 2 months are no limit data. I can transfer the sim card to a newer version of ipad when it comes out with no problem as well or extra cost. Best plan I found. I have Telus for my iphone but Telus doesn't have anything as good as this offer and they don't do plan sharing so no point in signing up with them.

9. JohnDoe98 macrumors 68020

Bell has the exact same plan. They call it the tablet plan, but it works on the ipad. So you do not need a dedicated ipad plan. You can probably use any tablet data plan from the different carries. So examine very carefully the options. Oh, and lest anyone try and tell you that there is an activation fee, just tell them the competition isn't charging it and they will waive the fee.