iPad Data Question.

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Lightey, Apr 6, 2011.

1. Lightey macrumors regular

I called AT&T about their pre-paid plans and they said even if I don't use 3G for an entire month I'm still charged. Since post-paid plans are paid after the data is used, if I don't use 3G for a month, they won't charge me, right?

2. Ebes1099 macrumors member

Wrong. You buy a block of data either way, pre-paid or post-paid. The difference is just if you go over the allotted data, it's cheaper on the post-paid plan to buy extra data.

Similar to a cell phone plan, you buy 500 minutes, you get charged whether you make no calls or 500 minutes worth of calls. (Just so I don't confuse you though, data plans don't rollover unused data like cell phone minutes)

3. Lightey thread starter macrumors regular

4. BobbieM629 macrumors regular

Yes, you are buying time (data) and paying for it whether it is used or not. For this reason I am post paid. I buy the cheap package $14.99 and only have went over a couple times, however, when I go over I can call in and change the plan or add time and it's not as costly. Most times I am within my allotted amount, which is why I take the smaller plan, not the 2GB plan.

Its a service just like cable. You don't pay for cable only when you turn the box on right?

5. MarkG21 macrumors regular

Interesting, So if I buy the 250 plan (pospaid) and I see that I'm getting close, I can choose to upgrade to 2GB for the $10 extra? Essentially the same as the data on the iphone, correct?