Carrier iPad data with Verizon unlimited grandfathered plan?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by rileyb76, Jul 23, 2014.

1. rileyb76 macrumors member

Guys,
    I am wanting to get an ipad (LTE or wifi?) with Verizon but I do not want to give up my unlimited data. I have 2 iphones with unlimited then 2 flip phones on my plan. What would you guys advise for getting data with the ipad while on the road?

I"m not sure if they can add a LTE ipad to my account without me losing unlimited - I do not want it if I will lose unlimited. Or would you turn on the hot-spot feature? I am unsure if I would lose unlimited if I went this route.

Or, would it be better to pick up like a Tmobile or AT&T ipad and use one of their monthly plans. I'm guessing we would probably use 1GB or so for the ipad since we already have phones.

TIA

2. rui no onna macrumors 601

rui no onna

Get a separate line for your iPad.

Verizon prepaid options are:
    1GB $20
    2GB $30
    4GB $40
    6GB $50
    10GB $80

They also have a daily plan but I don't know how much that costs since it doesn't show up on my iPad.

AT&T prepaid plan pricing with auto-renew are fairly similar to the above +/- a GB or so.

AT&T also has a 1GB 90-day pass for $25 which is nice if your usage is kinda erratic.

T-Mobile has 200MB free data if you don't think you'll be using data that much on the iPad.

That said, I seem to recall reading something about being able to use your iPhone SIM on the iPad so that's something you can try, too.

3. Truefan31 macrumors 68040

Truefan31

I thought Verizon sims could be used on tablets and smartphones interchangeably. If so u can use one if your phone sims in the iPad. I believe Verizon doesn't throttle lte, just 3G. I have an att unlimited iPad plan. Never throttled. It's great. I'm at 22.3 gigs with about 10 days to go.

4. campyguy macrumors 68040

You have two options other than what's listed by the other posters in this thread.

First, remove a SIM from one of your VZW LTE iPhones and pop it into your VZW iPad. I swap one nanoSIM between a VZW iPhone 5 (I have two) and my LTE iPad Air often. Works great!

Or, turn on/off Mobile Hotspot on one of your iPhones and tether your iPad to it. It's $30 per month for UL tethering data, and VZW allows for per diem on this option - basically, $1 per day. You can use My Verizon or the My Verizon app to do this - I have done this as well and you pay for each day or month you enable this option. You won't need an LTE iPad for this option.

5. Tortri macrumors 6502a

Tortri

Like campyguy said, you can pay for each day or month. Meaning enable it for the day and disable it at the end of the day, you'll only be charged the $1 for that day. I do this all the time until recent because I jailbroke my iPhone and bought tetherme.