Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

volntitan

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 4, 2005
OK. I'm sure I'm the first person to ask "which one should I buy"? But here it goes...

I have a 3rd Generation Ipad 32 gb. I've noticed it crashing alot and the battery seems to be going south. So was thinking maybe time to upgrade to a newer model.

A buddy of mine opened a store and they bought 1 more ipad air than they need. So he is offering an original ipad air that he just bought in early October. It is 32gb with cell (I don't need at all but that is what it has). The offer is $325 which seems to be a great deal.

My question is, do I buy a Air 2 (can get 16gb open box at Best Buy for around $420) or do I do the Ipad Mini 2, which I'm sure I can find a good deal on.

So basically is the Air 2 worth the upgrade from Air 1 for the extra $100 (and less space)? Anyone who went from the Ipad to the mini, how much of a change was it?

I basically use my ipad as my main browsing computer, but use it alot. Web browsing, watching ESPN, using social apps, etc.

Any info you could provide to help me with my decision would be great!

volntitan

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 4, 2005
Thanks. I currently have a 32gb Ipad. How do folks find the 16gb ipad 2? Too little storage?

dacreativeguy

macrumors 68020
Jan 27, 2007
Thanks. I currently have a 32gb Ipad. How do folks find the 16gb ipad 2? Too little storage?

If you are a cloud devotee, then 16GB will work. But if you want to store any movies, music, and games, you'll hit the limit fairly quickly. A 16GB model is really around 14-15GB of true capacity (1000k bytes vs. 1028 bytes conversion). Then figure about 2GB for the OS and you are left with about 12GB. I've never had an iProduct with less than 32GB and have been happy.

sanke1

macrumors 65816
Nov 9, 2010
Based on your reply, OP you need iPad Air 2 Wifi 64GB Space Gray.

volntitan

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 4, 2005
Thanks...I agree the 64gb would be the best. Problem is the fact the cheapest price I can find is $150 more than the cheapest price I can find on the 16gb. I don't store music or many movies and those I do, I delete afterwards. I don't do games, but I do most of the streaming apps (netflix, hulu, watchespn). I have too many apps currently, but I think I could probably get by with 16, but it does concern me. I have a 128gb iphone 6, but I take alot more pics and vids on that.

Yebubbleman

macrumors 603
May 20, 2010
Los Angeles, CA
OK. I'm sure I'm the first person to ask "which one should I buy"? But here it goes...

I have a 3rd Generation Ipad 32 gb. I've noticed it crashing alot and the battery seems to be going south. So was thinking maybe time to upgrade to a newer model.

A buddy of mine opened a store and they bought 1 more ipad air than they need. So he is offering an original ipad air that he just bought in early October. It is 32gb with cell (I don't need at all but that is what it has). The offer is $325 which seems to be a great deal.

My question is, do I buy a Air 2 (can get 16gb open box at Best Buy for around $420) or do I do the Ipad Mini 2, which I'm sure I can find a good deal on.

So basically is the Air 2 worth the upgrade from Air 1 for the extra $100 (and less space)? Anyone who went from the Ipad to the mini, how much of a change was it?

I basically use my ipad as my main browsing computer, but use it alot. Web browsing, watching ESPN, using social apps, etc.

Any info you could provide to help me with my decision would be great!

The Air 2 is worth the upgrade. That being said, you're getting the Air 1 at a pretty good price. It depends on how important device longevity is for you. If it is, then I would get the Air 2. If it isn't, then by all means, that Air 1 is being offered to you at a great price. Just make sure you can get AppleCare on it starting the day you pick it up.

Pharmscott

macrumors 6502a
Dec 13, 2011
Sacramento, CA
The comparisons being made aren't fair. The cost of the "upgrade" is $254 to go from Air 32mb w/LTE to Air 2 32mb w/LTE. Best Buy has Verizon Air 2s on sale for $100 off so at best, the upgrate is $154. Comparing the deal to a 16gb without LTE doesn't make any sense.

For $154, I'd be torn. For $254, I definitely get the discounted Air. My Air runs great. And 2gb of RAM, don't get me or anyone else started!

sanke1

macrumors 65816
Nov 9, 2010
stop the exaggeration that people,need 2gb of ram. It really is not necessary for a tablet right now.

It may not be necessary on iPhone, but ohh it's definitely necessary on a tablet like iPad.

Have you even used iPad Air 2 and compared it with Air 1?

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
I'd say the Air 2 is the model you want, if this will be your main machine. The larger display will be better then the mini's

Baddcow

macrumors newbie
Jan 1, 2003
Virginia
Decision Help

My two cents: Buying a more future proof model is always the better choice when you tend to keep quality products, like those produced by Apple, for a longer period of time. If you upgrade regularly (every season) I'd go with the older model and discounted price.

On another note, that is a great price for the Air and I'm in the market for just that model and configuration (My Mother's 64th Birthday) so, if you decide against the Air 1, pass along a bit of contact info, I'd buy it today at that price. :D

Bootsie

macrumors 6502a
Jan 23, 2008
Utah
Personally I decided to go with the Air 1 just last week. The fingerprint sensor and 2GB of ram was not worth $150 to me... I just couldn't justify the extra cost for my use.

I love the Air and will be happy with it for a few years until I am ready to sell it and upgrade.

volntitan

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 4, 2005
Thanks...

Unfortunately the Air 1 offered by my buddy has been sold by the time I got back to him. I should have taken when first offered.

The longevity issue is important to me. While with Iphones, I tend to get the new big upgrade every couple of years, I won't be doing that with the ipad. Because longevity is important, if I get one, I'll likely get an Air 2. The problem is that right now the budget only really allows for the 16gb wifi and I am concerned that is too little memory. I think I can get the 16gb for $400. The 64gb is just too much. Wish they had a 32gb.

So now that is my quandary...

Defender2010

Cancelled
Jun 6, 2010
Thanks...

Unfortunately the Air 1 offered by my buddy has been sold by the time I got back to him. I should have taken when first offered.

The longevity issue is important to me. While with Iphones, I tend to get the new big upgrade every couple of years, I won't be doing that with the ipad. Because longevity is important, if I get one, I'll likely get an Air 2. The problem is that right now the budget only really allows for the 16gb wifi and I am concerned that is too little memory. I think I can get the 16gb for $400. The 64gb is just too much. Wish they had a 32gb.

So now that is my quandary...

As you don't game, delete music afterward and stream video - go for the 16gb. Games take up the most space, Apple productivity apps are pretty big too if you have them all on you iPad, but if you don't use those I would get the 16gb and for $400 it's a bargain. You won't be disappointed.

Night Spring

macrumors G5
Jul 17, 2008
I'll likely get an Air 2. The problem is that right now the budget only really allows for the 16gb wifi and I am concerned that is too little memory. I think I can get the 16gb for $400. The 64gb is just too much. Wish they had a 32gb.

Where are you getting a Air2 16GB for $400? And 64GB retail is only a #100 over the 16GB. Seems to me if you can find a Air2 16GB for #400, you should be able to find a 64GB for $500 or thereabouts.

OTOH, if there were a 32GB version, then *that* would be $100 more than the 16GB. In other words, Apple not offering a $32GB version shouldn't affect the price of stepping up to the next higher storage tier.

s2mikey

Suspended
Sep 23, 2013
Upstate, NY
The comparisons being made aren't fair. The cost of the "upgrade" is $254 to go from Air 32mb w/LTE to Air 2 32mb w/LTE. Best Buy has Verizon Air 2s on sale for $100 off so at best, the upgrate is $154. Comparing the deal to a 16gb without LTE doesn't make any sense.

For $154, I'd be torn. For $254, I definitely get the discounted Air. My Air runs great. And 2gb of RAM, don't get me or anyone else started!

Yeah,meant get me started either! The Air is a very current, powerful tablet that will last for a while. Look at the ipad 2.... That's ancient by tablet standards but it still hums along and is widely used. The spec whores need to chill. They are too used to PCs or whatever where you have to have a zillion gigs of RAM just to boot the thing. Does not apply to iPads and iOS.

Too bad the OP lost that deal on the Air, it was a steal!

volntitan

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 4, 2005
Where are you getting a Air2 16GB for $400? And 64GB retail is only a #100 over the 16GB. Seems to me if you can find a Air2 16GB for #400, you should be able to find a 64GB for $500 or thereabouts.

OTOH, if there were a 32GB version, then *that* would be $100 more than the 16GB. In other words, Apple not offering a $32GB version shouldn't affect the price of stepping up to the next higher storage tier.

I have a price app (dealnews) and have it set to alert me for ipad air 2 deals. Not a ton, but certainly have had a number of hits of $399 air 2 16gb shipped. The lowest price I've found for 64gb Air 2 is closer to $550+. That's where I'm getting the $150 plus from.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.