All iPads iPad Decisions

Discussion in 'iPad' started by TaylorWright619, Mar 4, 2014.

1. TaylorWright619 macrumors member

Hi all,

I currently have a 16GB iPad 4, I have the ability to sell this for $400AUD.

I am currently a uni student so I take my iPad to uni. To be honest, the iPad is not really used that much.

I have been looking at upgrading to the Retina Mini, I had a mini before without the retina screen but did not like it. I have also had a look at the Nexus 7 and I am not so sure.

I also have a 15" Retina MBP and would like to get a MBA but they do not have retina so I am not really interested. I also have an iPhone 5 which I will upgrade when the new ones come out.

Anyone have any opinions?

Thanks,
    Taylor

2. carjakester macrumors 68020

carjakester

I have the ipad 4 and the retina mini, ever since i got the retina mini i pretty much stopped using my ipad 4. I am considering selling it.

3. LemPh macrumors member

It depends on your usage.
    I would keep the 9.7 inches. Nexus 7 is great but I think its aspect ratio is good just for books and movies, not browsing web pages or viewing Excel files or writing long texts. I tried both (Mini non retina, Nexus 7 and iPad 4) and I decided to go with the 4th gen iPad :)

----------

Oh, and if you are on a good budget iPad Air could be the best solution.

4. TaylorWright619 thread starter macrumors member

I'm only really interested in Retina quality screens, so the original iPad Mini is not a consideration.

I tried the original mini but did not like the screen on it so swapped it for the 4. Now I'm just looking at my options.

5. bevsb2 macrumors 65816

I think the only real reason to upgrade would be for portability and the Air would be lighter while the rMini would be lighter and smaller. If this isn't an issue I would stick with the iPad 4 which is still a great iPad and wait for the next generation.

6. RickTaylor macrumors 6502a

You've already tried out the mini, so you know what its form factor is like.

I really like the retina mini because it's so portable. I typically where a jacket of some sort, and it slips right into a pocket.

On the other hand, if you're a student and carry a backpack around everywhere anyway, that might not be as big a consideration for you, and the iPad 4 or Air may suit you fine.

I personally prefer the mini to the Nexus 7, because the for me the Nexus 7 is just too small (in particular too narrow). In my opinion the mini is better for pdfs and textbooks).

If you haven't already, you might want to loo and see if you can get electronic versions of your textbooks; it's so nice not to have to lug the hard copy books around.

7. AppleWindowsFan macrumors member

I love my iPad 4, but would consider ditching it for the air. The mini is way too small, I don't like smaller tablets.

8. sdilley14 macrumors 65816

$400 AUD sounds like a pretty good price for a used iPad 4 16gb considering I just bought a brand new iPad Air 16gb from a board member here for $385 US shipped. I found other offers both locally and on message boards for $400 US for other iPad Air 16gb. Maybe get top dollar for your iPad 4 while you still can?

9. Badrottie Suspended

Badrottie

I think you will be fine with rMini so it is easy for you to carry around at the uni. I prefer the Air because I like large screen for watching movies with closed caption. :apple:

10. businezguy macrumors 6502

I know you didn't present this as an option, but why don't you sell your Mac Book Pro and iPad 4 and go with a 13 inch Mac Book Pro. The 13 inch is still small and light and has amazing battery life.

11. jaduff46, Mar 7, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 7, 2014

jaduff46 macrumors regular

jaduff46

Agree with this possibility. Daughter had a 2007 MBP which got her through college and grad school. Got her a 13" Retina MBP for graduation and she loves it. She looked at the MBA, but the Retina display is fabulous.

I also have a 16GB iPad Air and love it for books, movies, email, etc.